Slope-intercept with a fraction???

mdreams

Whenever I get a fraction when I convert to slope-intercept I have NO idea what to do. I'm stuck on the same problems on my homework, how do I do this or am I just not doing it right?

The questions give equations in standard form and you have to rewrite them in slope-intercept form. The exact directions are "Rewrite all equations to slope-intercept form." After that you have to match the slope to a letter, and then put that letter on the corresponding line. "Solve the following problems. Match that answer to the correct letter of the alphabet. Enter that letter of the alphabet on the blank corresponding to the problem number."

This is the equation: 3x+4y=12

When I converted it I got y=-3x/4+3, I know that M=slope, but I don't know how to get the slope from that fraction.

I can't figure out whether to do "Rise over run" or not because I haven't found a way to make that work. Is graphing it required?

Last edited by a moderator:
response (when forum script chokes)

Whenever I get a fraction when I convert to slope-intercept I have NO idea what to do.
Try to stop viewing fractions as being "special"; they're just numbers, the same as any other number.

The exact directions are "Rewrite all equations to slope-intercept form."....
This is the equation: 3x+4y=12

When I converted it I got y=-3x/4+3, I know that M=slope, but I don't know how to get the slope from that fraction.
You know that the number multiplied on the "x" (in the slope-intercept form) is the value of the slope "m". So if you have "y = 4x + 3", then m = 4. If you have "y = -6x + 3", then m = -6. If you have "y = 0.3725x + 3", then m = 0.3725.

In your case, you have "y = (-3/4)x + 3". What then is the value of m? Don't over-think this. Just like you simply copied the value in every other case, so also you simply copy the value here. Yes, it's a fraction, but a fraction is just another number, so who cares? ;)