Find two linearly independent power series solutions

pinky

Hi,

My previous post didn't work so I've attached two files for the problem.
I don't really know how to get C2 and the recurrence. I don't fully understand it and have been following examples that I found in my book.
As for the last question, the book says to use c0=0 and C1=1. I answered the "answer is not shown" and both are 0, which are both incorrect.

If someone could help me with this problem that would be great.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• mathhelp1.jpg
    mathhelp1.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 6
  • mathhelp2.jpg
    mathhelp2.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Hi,
My question is:

Find two linearly independent power series solutions of the given differential equation about the ordinary point
x = 0.
2y'' + x2y' + xy = 0

Use: y(x) =
cnxn
sum.gif
n = 0

, and use the lower case letter c, for your subscripts in using c.

2y'' + x2y' + xy = 0

You work didn't come through. It looks like it is at least partially correct but you will have to find a different way to show us your work. I got c0 and c1 are arbitrary and c2=0 and a solution for the remainder of the coefficients of the form
\(\displaystyle c_{3(n+1)+j}\, =\, \alpha_{3n+j}\, c_{3n+j}\); j =0, 1, 2; n=0, 1, 2,...
where the \(\displaystyle \alpha_{3n+j}\) is determined by the differential equation. However, I haven't checked that answer.

Note that this says
(1) cj, j=3, 6, 9, ... depends only on c0
(2) cj, j=4, 7, 10, ... depends only on c1
(3) cj, j=5, 8, 11, ... depends only on c2 (and thus are 0)

You work didn't come through. It looks like it is at least partially correct but you will have to find a different way to show us your work. I got c0 and c1 are arbitrary and c2=0 and a solution for the remainder of the coefficients of the form
\(\displaystyle c_{3(n+1)+j}\, =\, \alpha_{3n+j}\, c_{3n+j}\); j =0, 1, 2; n=0, 1, 2,...
where the \(\displaystyle \alpha_{3n+j}\) is determined by the differential equation. However, I haven't checked that answer.

Note that this says
(1) cj, j=3, 6, 9, ... depends only on c0
(2) cj, j=4, 7, 10, ... depends only on c1
(3) cj, j=5, 8, 11, ... depends only on c2 (and thus are 0)

Hi, thanks for your response and I have fixed the post.