Conditions for a system of linear forms to be a basis

cat_56

Hi, I need help with the following problem:

Let $V$ be the vector space of all polynomial functions from $\Bbb R [x] _{\le 3}$ to $\Bbb R [x] _{\le 3}$. Consider the linear forms $f_i$ defined for $p$ in $V$, as $f_i(p)=p(a_i)$, where $a_i \in \Bbb R$, for $i \in \{1,2,3,4\}$.

a) Determine under what conditions $\{f_1, f_2, f_3, f_4\}$ is a basis for $V^*$.

b) Suppose that you have found the conditions for a), determine the base $B$ of $V$ of which $\{f_1, f_2, f_3, f_4\}$ is the dual base.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Hi, I need help with the following problem:

Let $V$ be the vector space of all polynomial functions from $\Bbb R [x] _{\le 3}$ to $\Bbb R [x] _{\le 3}$. Consider the linear forms $f_i$ defined for $p$ in $V$, as $f_i(p)=p(a_i)$, where $a_i \in \Bbb R$, for $i \in \{1,2,3,4\}$.

a) Determine under what conditions $\{f_1, f_2, f_3, f_4\}$ is a basis for $V^*$.

b) Suppose that you have found the conditions for a), determine the base $B$ of $V$ of which $\{f_1, f_2, f_3, f_4\}$ is the dual base.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

What are your thoughts?

Please share your work with us ...even if you know it is wrong

If you are stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions.

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "
Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/th...Before-Posting

Is this showing up as properly formatted on your computer? Because I'm seeing stuff with lots of dollar signs, underscores, and back-slashes...? :oops: