Cryptic Twirling

We just departed from San Louis Obispo.

Yours is FEMALE (don't like that s).

Hint for mine: there's a position (phrase) indicator. :D

Train delayed because some fool hauled a mattress onto the tracks. (Inspecting 13 cars for damage took awhile.) Attention: there are better ways to discard old mattresses than dragging them into the northern California forest. :roll:

Adolescent referee spun around a lot (7)

Direct on the right, and position indicator (a phrase) next to that.

thought you had not seen it

This statement is more of your weird humor, yes? :?

Debate around a lot (7)

I'm still thinking that debate=direct, but the only seven-letter words I've been able to think of so far are quarrel, discuss, contest, and wrangle -- and those are all losers (as far as I can tell). There are more candidates, to be sure; I just need more time to think of them -- or decide to start over with a different approach.

Stumped, but still trying! :D

Ok, I'm chill -- still a peculiar way to ask whether I had noticed the clue, however ...

You forgot the ? when you re-posted the clue; I had missed that typo.

Thanks for the hints. Something one might find near a lot, perhaps. I'll chew on that for awhile.

My sister has become seriously ill. My mom is pushin' 90, and I don't want her dealing with it by herself (hence my return to the armpit city), so I'm fairly busy for the time being. Also had to euthanize my laptop; accessing the Internet from the library, when I can. :cool:

3. skillful or witty debate

(I was surprised when I saw that!)

Me too! I've heard of the verb 'to fence' to mean 'to debate', but I would not have thought of 'fencing' as a noun in that context. Good one. :)