Geometry Winter Packet Help: Donald want to build a fence....

NakkyGraphics

So I'm having trouble with my geometry homework. I tried a^2 + b^2 = c^2 but it doesn't look right. Any help? Here's the problem:

Donald wants to build a triangular fence within a plot of land he has purchased for future development. He will build a new fence along the entire driveway, which is 80 feet in length. The previous owners left behind materials for 100 feet of fencing, which Donald will use as a second side. What is the minimum amount of fencing Donald will need to purchase to create the triangular space? If, instead, Donald would like a larger fenced area, what would be the maximum amount of fencing he could use?

Last edited by a moderator:
So I'm having trouble with my geometry homework. I tried a^2 + b^2 = c^2 but it doesn't look right. Any help? Here's the problem:

Donald wants to build a triangular fence within a plot of land he has purchased for future
development. He will build a new fence along the entire driveway, which is 80 feet in length.
The previous ow
ners left behind materials for 100 feet of fencing, which Donald will use as a
second side. What is the minimum amount of fencing Donald will need to purchase to create the
triangular space? If, instead, Donald would like a larger fenced area, what would
be the
maximum amount of fencing he could use?

Hint:...........Sum of lengths of two sides of a triangle must be equal to or greater than the third side.

Donald wants to build a triangular fence within a plot of land he has purchased for future development. He will build a new fence along the entire driveway, which is 80 feet in length. The previous owners left behind materials for 100 feet of fencing, which Donald will use as a second side.

What is the minimum amount of fencing Donald will need to purchase to create the triangular space?

If, instead, Donald would like a larger fenced area, what would be the maximum amount of fencing he could use?

Your problem does NOT involve right-angled-triangle - thus Pythagorus need not be invoked.

Use triangle inequality (A + B >= C) to get the answer.