Trouble getting solution to this U sub integral

PalmOlive

[FONT=MathJax_Size2]Been wrapping my head around it, but can't figure it out. Not sure where to begin.. I tried using e^ln7 to sub out the 7.... but lost myself in a dead end... Any ideas??

∫ (3-x)7^((3-x)^2)dx[/FONT]

[FONT=MathJax_Size2]Been wrapping my head around it, but can't figure it out. Not sure where to begin.. I tried using e^ln7 to sub out the 7.... but lost myself in a dead end... Any ideas??

∫ (3-x)7^((3-x)^2)dx[/FONT]

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle{\int (3-x)^{7^{(3-x)^2}}dx}\)

first substitute u = 3-x then substitute u2 = v and continue... it is messy ...

What are your thoughts?

Please share your work with us ...even if you know it is wrong

If you are stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions.

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "
Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/th...Before-Posting

Last edited by a moderator:
\(\displaystyle \displaystyle{\int (3-x)^{7^{(3-x)^2}}dx}\)

first substitute u = 3-x then substitute u2 = v and continue... it is messy ...

What are your thoughts?

Please share your work with us ...even if you know it is wrong

If you are stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions.

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "
Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/th...Before-Posting

It's actually \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} \int{ \left( 3 - x \right) \cdot 7^{ \left( 3 - x \right) ^2 } \,\mathrm{d}x } \end{align*}\), not \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} \int{ \left( 3 - x \right) ^{ 7^{ \left( 3 - x \right) ^2 } } \,\mathrm{d}x } \end{align*}\). Anyway

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} \int{ \left( 3 - x \right) \cdot 7^{ \left( 3 - x \right) ^2 } \,\mathrm{d}x } &= -\int{ -\left( 3 - x \right) \cdot 7^{ \left( 3 - x \right) ^2 } \,\mathrm{d}x } \\ &= -\int{ u\cdot 7^{ u^2 } \,\mathrm{d}u } \textrm{ after substituting } u = 3 - x \implies \mathrm{d}u = -\mathrm{d}x \\ &= -\frac{1}{2} \int{ 2\,u \cdot 7^{ u^2 } \,\mathrm{d}u } \\ &= -\frac{1}{2} \int{ 7^v \,\mathrm{d}v } \textrm{ after substituting } v = u^2 \implies \mathrm{d}v = 2\,u\,\mathrm{d}u \end{align*}\)

Can you continue? It might also help to remember that \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} 7^v = \mathrm{e}^{ \ln{ \left( 7^v \right) } } = \mathrm{e}^{ v\ln{(7)} } \end{align*}\)...

It's actually \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} \int{ \left( 3 - x \right) \cdot 7^{ \left( 3 - x \right) ^2 } \,\mathrm{d}x } \end{align*}\), not \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} \int{ \left( 3 - x \right) ^{ 7^{ \left( 3 - x \right) ^2 } } \,\mathrm{d}x } \end{align*}\). Anyway ...

I suspected that! However, I wanted to determine OP's interest in the problem - so that s/he can come back and correct my interpretation.