Tennis Balls Problem

cdavison

Hi! I need to solve this problem for my problem solving class, and explain the whole process that can be taken to figure it out. I'm stumped...please help!

Assume a can of tennis balls holds three balls perfectly, with no gaps in between the balls and the can. Which is larger: the height of the can or the circumference of its lid? Explain.

Thank you!

Hi! I need to solve this problem for my problem solving class, and explain the whole process that can be taken to figure it out. I'm stumped...please help!

Assume a can of tennis balls holds three balls perfectly, with no gaps in between the balls and the can. Which is larger: the height of the can or the circumference of its lid? Explain.

Thank you!

What are your thoughts?

Please share your work with us ...even if you know it is wrong

If you are stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions.

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/th...Before-Posting

Draw the side view, showing the three balls (being circles) and the surrounding can (being a rectangle). Both the circumference of the can's lid and the height of the three stacked balls will relate to the radii of the balls. Where does this lead you?

Please be complete. Thank you! ;)