Calculate the area of the floor

starTman08

Given: Albert lives in New Orleans. At noon on a summer day, the angle of elevation of the sun is 84°. The window in Albert's room is 4.0 feet high and 6.5 feet wide.

Question: Calculate the area of the floor surface in Albert's room that is illuminated by the sun when the angle of elevation of the sun is 84°.
attachment.php

(I tried Pythagorean Theorem, Similar Triangle -> i failed)
(Someone help me please, thank you so much)

Attachments

• 2016-02-24_150449.png
    2016-02-24_150449.png
    28.6 KB · Views: 58
Given: Albert lives in New Orleans. At noon on a summer day, the angle of elevation of the sun is 84°. The window in Albert's room is 4.0 feet high and 6.5 feet wide.

Question: Calculate the area of the floor surface in Albert's room that is illuminated by the sun when the angle of elevation of the sun is 84°.
attachment.php

(I tried Pythagorean Theorem, Similar Triangle -> i failed)
(Someone help me please, thank you so much)
In line with Sir Denis, what are your thoughts? What have you done so far? Please show us your work even if you feel that it is wrong so we may try to help you. You might also read
http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/threads/78006-Read-Before-Posting

How do you know you failed?
Does your book provide the answer?
If so, what is it?

As is, I can't see how this can be solved unless
we know the height of the window from the floor.

Thank for your time.

Failed means i can't find the way to solve it even though i tried.
The book doesn't provide the answer.

We don't have the height of the window. I just don't know that if they can measure the wide and height of the window, why don't they give us the depth too?

In line with Sir Denis, what are your thoughts? What have you done so far? Please show us your work even if you feel that it is wrong so we may try to help you. You might also read
http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/threads/78006-Read-Before-Posting

I don't really know what are you trying to get here?

1/ This is not an easy problem for me. If you can, why don't you help me and others learn the new thing?

2/ I posted the problem as clear as i can. You want me show 1 + 1 = 3 and period and comma?

3/ I thought you didn't focus on math problem. If you are the one who rules this forum, please forgive me, i need to find another place where we can focus on the real thing.

[For Denis: i checked the problem many times. If you doubt about it, you can copy some words and looking for it on GG. I did it. Someone asked it before but they are too selfish to share(they made it private)].

OK...needed a couple more coffees...

Btw, who cares if Albert lives in New Orleans !

If elevation angle = 90, then there ain't no sun coming in;
if elevation angle = 0, then Father Sun is shooting right at
the window: no illumination on floor, but a 4 by 6.5 on wall.
Right, Ishuda?:cool:

Using similar triangles solves it easy enough.

If you need more help, put up a labelled diagram we can
refer to, else no can do :confused:
Yep, I agree for all finite sized rooms. But, I think, if we talk about the limit as the elevation angle approaches zero and the room is infinite in width so there is no wall for the sunlight patch to "crawl up" [and that is where the width of the room as well as your statement about the height of the window from the floor would come in], then you start getting getting solutions approaching infinity.