A girl buys less than 17 items at the store.... How much did she actually spend?

WVteacher

A girl buys less than 17 items at the store. She rounds each item to the nearest dollar. The total of rounded items is $64. What could be the actual total cost of her items? (They wanted an upper amount and a lower amount of what they could possibly be)

A girl buys less than 17 items at the store. She rounds each item to the nearest dollar. The total of rounded items is $64. What could be the actual total cost of her items? (They wanted an upper amount and a lower amount of what they could possibly be)
You have put up bunch of questions (~5) - without showing single line of work!

What are your thoughts?

Please share your work with us ...even if you know it is wrong

If you are stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions.

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/th...Before-Posting

My thoughts

I do not know where to begin with this problem. I know that you will have to think in terms of the items being less than 17 so maybe a highest amount of items and a lowest possible amount of items. If j could have some direction of how to begin this that would be helpful.

What is the largest number of items she could have bought? What is the smallest?

What number of items allows for the most (cumulative) rounding?

What min / max values can you then obtain?

If you get stuck, please reply with a clear statement of your thoughts and efforts. (The teacher whose account you're using should be able to give you some helpful advice on showing your work.) Thank you! ;)