How to solve the following critical point and maxima and minima problems in Calculus

jesswe

1. xex2/98
  2. f(x) =
    leftbrace2.gif
    16x2 if −4x < 0
    4x2if 0 ≤ x4

for 2 i need a maxima, minima and local point but I dont know how. could somebody please share their work with me asap, thanks

1. xex2/98
  2. f(x) =
    leftbrace2.gif
    16x2if −4x < 0
    4x2if 0 ≤ x4

for 2 i need a maxima, minima and local point but I dont know how. could somebody please share their work with me asap, thanks

What are your thoughts?

Please share your work with us ...even if you know it is wrong

If you are stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions.

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/th...Before-Posting

Your post is hard to read, and I think your actual question is in the subject line, rather than in your post. (Subject lines often don't relate, so I apologize if my guess is wrong.) I think your post is meant to be as follows:

I need to find the critical point(s) and any max or min points for the following:

\(\displaystyle 1.\, f(x)\, =\, xe^{-x^2/98}\)

For the next exercise, I need to find any global and local maxima and minima points.

\(\displaystyle 2.\, f(x)\, =\, \begin{cases}16\, -\, x^2 & \mbox{ if }\, -4\, \leq\, x\, <\, 0 \\ 4x\, -\, 2 & \mbox{ if }\, 0\, \leq\, x\, \leq\, 4\end{cases}\)

I don't know how to find critical points or max/min points, global or otherwise.
Is the above what you meant? If so, then please specify the last topic (before critical points and max/min points) where you understood the course materials. Then we can try to find you online lessons, to help you get caught up to the material.

Thank you! ;)