Thread: Finding the average cost?

Finding the average cost?

So here is the problem I am working on:

Assume that C(x) represents the cost of producing x calculators. If C(100) = $500 and C'(100) = $4.75, what is the average cost of a calculator when producing 100 calculators?

I was wondering how I should go about doing this? This is all the information I have from the math problem.

Thank you in advance!

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CalcStudent01 View Post
    So here is the problem I am working on:

Assume that C(x) represents the cost of producing x calculators. If C(100) = $500 and C'(100) = $4.75, what is the average cost of a calculator when producing 100 calculators?

I was wondering how I should go about doing this? This is all the information I have from the math problem.

Thank you in advance!
    What are your thoughts?

Please share your work with us ...even if you know it is wrong

If you are stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions.

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/th...Before-Posting
    “... mathematics is only the art of saying the same thing in different words” - B. Russell

What I know

Well here is what I know:
    C(x) is the function that represents the cost for making x calculators.
    C(100) = 500 is the cost for making 100 calculators.
    C'(100) = 4.75, which is the derivative of the previous function, I believe is the profit for making each individual calculator.
    I believe that the next step would be to find the derivative of the derivative, but I was never given a function to work with.