Unusual probability problem: ...2 winners chosen randomly at same time....

NumberFour

Hello, this problem is not for an educational purpose. I am just curious to know the answer to the problem. I have presented this problem to my high school teacher and she did not give me a definitive answer. The problem is simple and to the point, but I would like to see the reasonings to prove why that is. I hope someone is able to solve the problem, any attempt will be appreciated. The problem is the following:

You are in a contest with other 9 people (10 people in total). Two winners will be chosen randomly at the same time. A person cannot win more than once (In an event which one person is chose twice, the result will be invalid and winners will be re-chosen). What is the probability of you winning?

Hello, this problem is not for an educational purpose. I am just curious to know the answer to the problem. I have presented this problem to my high school teacher and she did not give me a definitive answer. The problem is simple and to the point, but I would like to see the reasonings to prove why that is. I hope someone is able to solve the problem, any attempt will be appreciated. The problem is the following:

You are in a contest with other 9 people (10 people in total). Two winners will be chosen randomly at the same time. A person cannot win more than once (In an event which one person is chose twice, the result will be invalid and winners will be re-chosen). What is the probability of you winning?

How many ways can you choose two people out of 10?

What are your thoughts?

Please share your work with us ...even if you know it is wrong

If you are stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions.

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/th...Before-Posting