Optimisation - Computing Power

#anon

A researcher has funds to buy enough computing power to number-crunch a problem in 5 years. Computing power per dollar doubles every 19 months.

I am asked to find the when should the researcher buy his computer to have finished the problem as soon as possible.

Another one to find is the largest value of c for which the researcher should buy the computer immediately.

But first I need to come up with an equation and I do not know how to do that.

Any help would be appreciated.

A researcher has funds to buy enough computing power to number-crunch a problem in 5 years. Computing power per dollar doubles every 19 months.

I am asked to find the when should the researcher buy his computer to have finished the problem as soon as possible.

Another one to find is the largest value of c for which the researcher should buy the computer immediately.

But first I need to come up with an equation and I do not know how to do that.

Any help would be appreciated.

Equation for what?

Equating "what" to "what"?

First name the variables that you need to use for the said equation.

A researcher has funds to buy enough computing power to number-crunch a problem in 5 years.
Does "in five years" mean "within a five-year time-frame, starting now", or "five years distant, which is when he'll be starting"? Absent other feedback, I'll assume the former.

Computing power per dollar doubles every 19 months.

What, specifically, does the exercise say? (The above is not a proper English sentence, is part of why I ask.) Among other issues, to finish "as soon as possible" suggests that he should buy his computing time (on whatever system he's using) as soon as possible, since a five-year process will obviously be moving from one system to another over time. Waiting to get started won't make power improvements arrive any sooner.

"Another one" what? Another exercise? Another portion of the same exercise? Something else? What is "c"? What other additional information did they give you (along with the "c") for this exercise?

I need to come up with an equation and I do not know how to do that.
That would have been covered back in algebra. Are you trying to take calculus without having taken algebra first?

When you reply, please include the exact text of the exercise, along with a clear statement of your thoughts and efforts (or else a specification that you first need lesson instruction on various topics, a list of which you'll provide). Thank you! ;)