16 rocks in a 4x4 Pattern, Whoever takes last win.

Kanindraperi

On a table lies 16 rocks in a 4x4 pattern. Two players take turns removing rocks. You may take as many rocks as you like but only from one row or one column and they have to be next to eachother. Is there a strategi that will make sure that the person who goes first always win?

On a table lies 16 rocks in a 4x4 pattern. Two players take turns removing rocks. You may take as many rocks as you like but only from one row or one column and they have to be next to each other. Is there a strategy that will make sure that the person who goes first always win?
Are you doing something like this? (Also here.) Are you supposed to be writing a program or otherwise "using technology"?

Either way, please reply with a clear listing of all of your thoughts and efforts so far, so we can see where you're having trouble. Thank you! ;)

Are you doing something like this? (Also here.) Are you supposed to be writing a program or otherwise "using technology"?

Either way, please reply with a clear listing of all of your thoughts and efforts so far, so we can see where you're having trouble. Thank you! ;)

Yes its something like that. No software involved just the "math" part. So far I made a list winning/losing number of rocks. Eg: 4rocks left on your turn will result in a loss for you. Win:3,6,9 Lose:2,4,8. So something about winning numbers always have rest 1 with divison 2. And lossing have 0rest. Perhaps something avout I always want to have one more move than the other player

Clarification: can only 1 rock be picked?
If so, this is possible after 8 picks (r = rock):

- r - r
r - r -
- r - r
r - r -

So whoever picks next is sure to lose, right?

No. You can take as many rocks as you like aslong as they are next to eachother and are from the same row. So you can take a maximum of 4 rocks if the whole row still have all its rocks left. And a minumum of 1 rock since you cant skip your turn

YES!
I'm playing against you, and we got to the above situation,
with me being next: I'm SURE to lose...
I pick, you pick : 6 left
I pick, you pick : 4 left
I pick, you pick : 2 left
I pick: 1 left, so you win: I have to buy the round!

Oh yes I see what you mean. Yes you are right

Okay so put some more thought into it. I think it has something to do with with those winning/loosing numbers but they represent the amount of different moves you can make?
So r - - r would be 3 moves since two of the r are together and if it is my turn I win. So to win I just have to keep the other player so that there are an even amount of moves left when it is his turn.
- r - r