Finding the AREA of similar triangles.

Argraves

I have this problem could someone help me with it? Here it is.

Triangle DEF (not shown) is similar to triangle ABC shown, with angle B congruent to angle E and angle C congruent to angle F. The length of side DE is 6 cm. If the area of triangle ABC is 5 square centimeters, what is the area of triangle DEF? Side AB (which is congruent to DE) of triangle ABC is 2 cm (not the base side and the height isn't shown).

There is an image of triangle ABC in my book, sorry I can't show it to you. I just need to know what formula to use on this kind of problem.
Thanks!

Triangle DEF (not shown) is similar to triangle ABC shown, with angle B congruent to angle E and angle C congruent to angle F. The length of side DE is 6 cm. If the area of triangle ABC is 5 square centimeters, what is the area of triangle DEF? Side AB (which is congruent to DE) of triangle ABC is 2 cm (not the base side and the height isn't shown).

There is an image of triangle ABC in my book, sorry I can't show it to you. I just need to know what formula to use on this kind of problem.
Thanks!
I'm surprised your book didn't mention anything about this before assigning homework on it! :shock:

To learn the missing material, try here. Once you have learned the basic terms and techniques, please attempt the exercise. If you get stuck, you can then reply with a clear listing of your thoughts and efforts so far. Thank you! ;)

Thanks!

If two shapes are similar and their sides are scaled by a factor of \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} k \end{align*}\) then the area is scaled by a factor of \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} k^2 \end{align*}\).