Retirement, Payoff Math Help

cchalpin

Hello, newb here!

Math is something I've always really struggled with - no matter how hard I try or how simply I try to break down the information, I just can't seem to grasp it. I guess you could say, I fell behind in school and got lost. I can't do much past simple PEMDAS. As an adult, I haven't had to use it much, but now I'm running into a problem. I'm trying to put together a financial plan, I'd like to do this on my own in excel. I'm having a hard time coming up with the proper formulas (and if I do find them, I'm having trouble even solving them) for the following examples:

- I have 5000 in savings. I have 1 percent annual interest compounded monthly. How many months will it take me to save me to save 24000 if I deposit 450 monthly?

- I have a car loan with a balance of 21581. The monthly payment is 427.68. I pay an additional 200 per month. The interest rate is 4.65 percent. How many months will it take me to pay this loan off?

- I have a Roth IRA with a balance of 4981.44. I deposit 450 monthly. How much will I have in 35 years? (I understand the rate of return is 8 percent - I couldn't find an exact % on my statement)

I would really appreciate any help with this! Along with trying to find the answers, I'd like to really understand how to solve the problems.

- I have 5000 in savings. I have 1 percent annual interest compounded monthly. How many months will it take me to save me to save 24000 if I deposit 450 monthly?

- I have a car loan with a balance of 21581. The monthly payment is 427.68. I pay an additional 200 per month. The interest rate is 4.65 percent. How many months will it take me to pay this loan off?

- I have a Roth IRA with a balance of 4981.44. I deposit 450 monthly. How much will I have in 35 years? (I understand the rate of return is 8 percent - I couldn't find an exact % on my statement)
If these are math exercises, please reply with a clear listing of your thoughts and efforts so far, based on what you've learned in class. If this is "from real life", then please consider hiring a qualified tax or finance consultant, who can provide the service you seek.

Thank you! ;)