An equation with only the profit function??

Rabyafraij

A company produces washer machines. The profit function (in thousands of dollars) is given by P(x)=-10x^2+100x-160=0 , 1 < or equal to (x) < or equal to 10, where )x) represents the number of items (in thousands) produced per month.

(I) find the values of x for which the company has a profit.

(II) how many machines should the company produce to reach the maximum profit? What is the maximum profit?

Your help is much appreciated!

A company produces washer machines. The profit function (in thousands of dollars) is given by P(x)=-10x^2+100x-160=0 , 1 < or equal to (x) < or equal to 10, where )x) represents the number of items (in thousands) produced per month.

(II) how many machines should the company produce to reach the maximum profit? What is the maximum profit?

Using your graphing calculator plot y = P(x) and see which part of the graph is in first quadrant.

I got a straight line?
I'm not sure I did it right. My college professor teaches in Arabic and I can barely understand her.
I pressed the "Y=" button on my calculator and wrote the P(x) equation.
Thank you for your help!

I don't think the bit in red should be there.

If you can't use a GC, you should be able to graph it manually. It is a quadratic function and so will be a parabola. Find x-intercepts and turning point.

Also, when you get your answer for (II) don't forget "x represents the number of items (in thousands) produced per month".

Happy to check your answers when you show your work.

I got a straight line?
As you learned back in algebra, quadratics do not graph as straight lines, since they're parabolas. (here)

I'm not sure I did it right.
I pressed the "Y=" button on my calculator and wrote the P(x) equation.
Since we cannot see what you entered, where, or how, nor have we any knowledge of your graphing window or setup, we cannot speak to this. Try instead using what you learned back in algebra. For instance, where is the vertex? Use this to center the window on "interesting" information. ;)