Out ot 2000,1000 candidates hav to be selected.Probblty of candidate A ,B getting sel

Askmath

Out ot 2000,1000 candidates hav to be selected.Probblty of candidate A ,B getting selected is .5 each.But Wts d probability of two getting selected together?wud it b .25 or .5 as dey r both independent cases?

Out ot 2000,1000 candidates hav to be selected.Probblty of candidate A ,B getting selected is .5 each.But Wts d probability of two getting selected together?wud it b .25 or .5 as dey r both independent cases?
Um... what? :shock:

I won't even try to convert this into English. Whoever wrote this embarrassment should be ashamed of himself!

See if you can find somebody (maybe the instructor of another section of your course) who can get you the actual text of the exercise (as it appeared in the original assignment set, written by a grown-up who had some respect for his readers). When you reply with this information, please include a clear listing of your thoughts and efforts so far. Thank you! ;)

Well, let's see... we have a pool of 2000 possible people to choose from. For the sake of convenience, we can imagine they're wearing number plates with the numbers 1 through 2000. Of these 2000 people, we're choosing 1000 of them. That much I follow just fine. I concur with Stapel that everything after that is nonsense. Some specific questions you might answer:

You mention "candidate A [and] B" but which of the 2000 people are they? If each of them has a 0.5 (or 50%) chance of being selected, then that means that none of the other 1998 people can be chosen (as their chance is, by definition, 0%). So, how can you expect to choose 1000 people, if only 2 of them can ever be chosen? And then that last bit is a total disaster and I can't even guess as what might be meant by it.

K.i wl try to b more clear.
Total-2000 candidates.
To be chosen-. 1000;
i.e. all 2000 will have 1/2 a chance to be chosen.
Now there are two candidates..A n B ..amongst the 2000 candidates.!
again both have .5 chance to be selected? Right?
Now my question is..wts d probability of both gettin selected Together?

K.i wl try to b more clear.
Total-2000 candidates.
To be chosen-. 1000;
i.e. all 2000 will have 1/2 a chance to be chosen.
Now there are two candidates..A n B ..amongst the 2000 candidates.!
again both have .5 chance to be selected? Right?
Now my question is..wts d probability of both gettin selected Together?
My apologies; apparently you're not a native-English speaker. If you have a friend who knows English better, please ask him/her to translate whatever you're trying to say into standard English, so we can try to understand your meaning. Thank you! ;)

Well, I think I actually understand the meaning now, but the math is still wrong. You have a pool of 2000 people to pick from, and of those people you want to pick 1000. This means that half of them (0.5 or 50%) will be chosen, but this does not mean that each individual person has a 50% chance of being chosen. You can see why that cannot be by working through it. According to your logic, every single one of the 2000 people has a 50% chance of being chosen, so that means all 2000 put together make up (2000 * 50) = 100000%... can you see why that, obviously, cannot be correct?