Help with fractions , some values and questions. Please kindly help..

Fauxen

Hello!
Please help me in this question:
Ali,Ahmed and Arham buy a business . Given that Ali pays 3/7 of the cost price and Ahmed pays 9/20 of it, what fraction of the cost price does Arham pay?
If Ali pays $7000 , how much does the business cost?

Hello!
Ali,Ahmed and Arham buy a business . Given that Ali pays 3/7 of the cost price and Ahmed pays 9/20 of it, what fraction of the cost price does Arham pay?

What are your thoughts?

Please share your work with us ...even if you know it is wrong

If you are stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions.

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/announcement.php?f=33

Some help for helpers.

Ali pays fraction of the cost=3/7
Ahmed pays fraction of the cost =9/20
Arkham pays fraction of the cost=?
Ali pays=$7000

a) What fraction of the cost does Arham pay?

b) Ali pays $7000, then how much does the business cost?

These are my statements. Please help and guide me through this question by comment thx

Hello!

Let the cost of the business = x

Ali pays 3/7 of the cost price = 3/7 * x

Ahmed pays 9/20 of it = 9/20 * x

(Ali + Ahmed) pays = 3/7 * x + 9/20 * x = 123/140 * x

Arham pays = x - 123/140 * x = ?

continue....

I guess it involves the concept of rational numbers and lcm. Need answer.

I guess it involves the concept of rational numbers and lcm.
Yes, this question is pre-algebra or before, not graduate-school "Advanced Math", as originally posted.

Need answer.
And we need to see where you're getting stuck. (In particular, we need to see what you've done, or else we need to know what sorts of lesson instruction you're needing, so that you can learn the material in the first place.

Ali, Ahmed, and Arham buy a business.

a. Given that Ali pays 3/7 of the cost price and Ahmed pays 9/20 of it, what fraction of the cost price does Arham pay?
This involves adding two fractions and then subtracting from the total (the "whole") of 1. What have you done with this? (LCM & GCF, fractions)

b. If Ali pays $7000, how much does the business cost?
You have been given that Ali paid 3/7. In other words, if the total cost is divided into 7 parts, he paid three of those parts. That leaves four remaining parts, on top of his $7,000, to get to the total. What would be the value of another three of those parts? (Hint: It's still the same number, so copy this down.)

This leaves you with one of the parts. If $7,000 is three parts' worth, then what is one part's worth? (Hint: Divide by 3.)

Add this in. So what is the total? (Hint: Add the three values to get the total value.)

(Note: This exercise is poorly constructed, in that you will not get a nice neat whole-number answer.)

If you get stuck, please reply with a clear listing of your thoughts and efforts so far. Thank you! ;)

Stuck.

This question is a matter of rational numbers.
So keeping Stapel's idea in mind, when I do this:
Ali= 3 : (7)
Ahmed= 9 : (20)

Take lcm of 7 and 20 and make the fractions equal.
Ali Ahmed
3*20 / 7*20 9*7/20*7

60/140 63/140
Now if 60/140 is $7000 then what would 63/140 be?
What fraction DID Arham PAY? Stuck. Need Guidance by you people. Thx.

This question is a matter of rational numbers.
So keeping Stapel's idea in mind, when I do this:
Ali= 3 : (7)
Ahmed= 9 : (20)
No. Ali has three of seven total parts, not three parts to the other parties' seven; Ahmed has nine of twenty total parts, not nine parts to the other parties' twenty. The fractions were divisions, not proportions.

Take lcm of 7 and 20 and make the fractions equal.
Ali Ahmed
3*20 / 7*20 9*7/20*7
Your formatting is hard to read; I think you did the following:

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \dfrac{3}{7}\, \cdot\, \dfrac{20}{20}\, =\, \dfrac{60}{140}\)

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \dfrac{9}{20}\, \cdot\, \dfrac{7}{7}\, =\, \dfrac{63}{140}\)

Now if 60/140 is $7000 then what would 63/140 be?
Why? Did the exercise ask you for this value?

What fraction DID Arham PAY? Stuck.
You were provided with specific instructions:

Ali, Ahmed, and Arham buy a business.

a. Given that Ali pays 3/7 of the cost price and Ahmed pays 9/20 of it, what fraction of the cost price does Arham pay?
This involves adding two fractions and then subtracting from the total (the "whole") of 1. What have you done with this?
Where are you "stuck" in the adding and subtracting?

Please be complete. Thank you! ;)

Does your teacher know you're trying to
get someone else to do your homework?
Denis, the OP is not the student but actually the teacher! These multi step problems really get them.