half life of tritium over time will decay by emitting energy into the environment in

peachy

half life of tritium over time will decay by emitting energy into the environment in the form of radiation and the amount will be halved in 12.43 yaers. A group of scientists started observing in 2 separate containers, A and B, carrying unknown tritium from Jan 1, 1953. General formula for half life is N(t)=No(1/2)^t/x where N(t) is the final amount t years after, No is the initial amount of radioactive material, x is the half life and t is time.

a) what is the year the scientists would observe 12 g of tritium in container A?
b) what is the rate of change of amount of tritium when there is 1 g of tritium in the container? would the tritium ever disappear completely from the container? justify.

Thanks

half life of tritium over time will decay by emitting energy into the environment in the form of radiation and the amount will be halved in 12.43 yaers. A group of scientists started observing in 2 separate containers, A and B, carrying unknown tritium from Jan 1, 1953. General formula for half life is N(t)=No(1/2)^t/x where N(t) is the final amount t years after, No is the initial amount of radioactive material, x is the half life and t is time.

a) what is the year the scientists would observe 12 g of tritium in container A?
b) what is the rate of change of amount of tritium when there is 1 g of tritium in the container? would the tritium ever disappear completely from the container? justify.

Thanks

What are your thoughts?

Please share your work with us ...even if you know it is wrong

If you are stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions.

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/announcement.php?f=33

Thanks
I do understand your formula but it would be much better (and unambiguous) if you were to use grouping symbols: N(t)=No(1/2)^(t/x)

As I see it, you can not answer question (a) unless you knew how much you started with. Certainly if you started with 12g, the answer would Jan 1, 1953 but if you started with 24g, the answer would be about June 3, 1965.

As far as part (b) goes, I think Subhotosh Khan has an excellent suggestion, red ink and all.

What are your thoughts?

Please share your work with us ...even if you know it is wrong

If you are stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions.

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/announcement.php?f=33

I was thinking for part a of setting the equation equal to 12 then solving for t and then for part c finding the derivative?

I was thinking for part a of setting the equation equal to 12 then solving for t and then for part c finding the derivative?

Correct...

But continue and show us where do you go from there....