20% of the students attain 3pts in a test. 30% attain 4 points and 50% attain 5 point

Ajeni38

In a class of 10, 20% of the students attain 3pts in a test. 30% attain 4 points and 50% attain 5 points. What is the average number of points attained in the class and how do I calculate it.:confused:

In a class of 10, 20% of the students attain 3pts in a test. 30% attain 4 points and 50% attain 5 points. What is the average number of points attained [per student] in the class and how do I calculate it.:confused:

Hello. The average number of points attained per student is calculated by dividing the total number of points awarded overall by the total number of students in the class.

Start by finding the total number of points awarded.

20% of the class received 3 points each. How many students is "20% of the class"?

If you can figure 20% of the class, then multiply it by 3. Do the same for 30% and 50%, multiplying by 4 and 5, respectively. Add up all of the points awarded, and divide the total by the number of students in the class.

If you're not sure how to figure a percentage of the class, let us know. Cheers :cool:

Clue:

1.Multiply each percentage, one-by-one with total students.

2. Multiply result point 1, one-by one with each point they got.

3. Sum all result of point 2.

4. Average is = result point 3 / total students.

Direct answer: 4.3

Last edited by a moderator:
In a class of 10, 20% of the students attain 3pts in a test. 30% attain 4 points and 50% attain 5 points. What is the average number of points attained in the class and how do I calculate it.:confused:

First, make sure that you have data for 100% of students!

20% + 30% + 50% = 100%

Now follow the instructions provided above.