Converses: Find a counterexample to show that the conditional statement is false.

lauriet

Problem statement: Find a counterexample to show that the conditional statement If X (greater then symbol with a line under it) -4, then X>-1 is false. Draw a number-line graph to display your counterexample.

I am struggling with what they are asking and how to start the graph!

Problem statement: Find a counterexample to show that the conditional statement If X (greater then symbol with a line under it) -4, then X>-1 is false. Draw a number-line graph to display your counterexample.

Do you know what a number line is? and do you know how to draw it?

Can you think of a number that satisfies the first condition (ie is greater than or equal to -4) but does NOT satisfy the second condition (ie is NOT greater than -1)?

To learn what a "number line" is, try here.

Your subject line refers to "converses", but you've actually been asked to find a "counter-example". To learn what this is, try here.

If there are other aspects of this exercise which are causing you confusion, kindly please reply with specifications, and we'll be glad to try to find lesson links for you. Thank you! ;)