I need the formula used

helpme101010

Let us say upgrading a building from level 1 to 2 takes 150 seconds but after a boost of 36% the time is reduced to 109 seconds.What formula was used here?

Thanks

Let us say upgrading a building from level 1 to 2 takes 150 seconds but after a boost of 36% the time is reduced to 109 seconds.What formula was used here?

Thanks
Is upgrading a building a linear process (function) with-respect-to time?

What are your thoughts?

Please share your work with us ...even if you know it is wrong.

If you are stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions.

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/announcement.php?f=33

Thanks for replying SRK!

The game I play there are buildings which you have to upgrade. Now the original time of the building is 150 seconds but after getting a boost of 36% the time is reduced to 109 seconds. (i.e from level 1 to 2).And from level 2 to 3, the original time is 270 seconds and after the boost of 36% the time is reduced to 197 seconds ( I mentioned this as it might help you find a relation between the two or something else).

I really need the exact formula used here for developing purposes.

Thank you very much for your time!

Thanks for replying SRK!

The game I play there are buildings which you have to upgrade. Now the original time of the building is 150 seconds but after getting a boost of 36% the time is reduced to 109 seconds. (i.e from level 1 to 2).And from level 2 to 3, the original time is 270 seconds and after the boost of 36% the time is reduced to 197 seconds ( I mentioned this as it might help you find a relation between the two or something else).

Thank you very much for your time!

So this is not related to any school-work.

Sorry, I cannot spend anytime resolving issues with games.

SRK, it is still related to maths and I really need the answer for developing purposes. I am very serious by the way. Thank you for your time.

Perhaps you should pay attention during math classes.
Denis first of all everyone should be respectful to each other in here, no matter how dummy the question is.Secondly, your answer is wrong as the answer must be 109 not 54. Thanks!

... after getting a boost of 36% ...

The meaning of this phrase is not clear. The boost process itself needs to be explained, so that we can understand to what the 36% is applied.

The formula could be one of several different forms. For example, I just cooked up these two versions:

newTime = (oldTime)*(adjustment) - (percent)*(factor)

(The parameters adjustment and factor could either be constants or functions of other parameters.)

percent = 0.36, adjustment = 11/15, and factor = 25/9 yields newTimes of 109 and 197.

OR

newTime = oldTime^adjustment/(percent*factor)

Use adjustment = 1.006922889 and factor = 3.957556263

The point is, there is not enough information to determine a formula that works in all cases.

You may need to contact the game publisher. Cheers :cool:

Last edited:

Thanks
There is no way to determine the exact formula [even if you add if the data from level 2 to level 3 and from 3 to 4, etc.]. One might make a guess about the function and test it it for several other levels, but, in the blind, one could never be sure you had the exact function used to compute the results.

newTime = (oldTime)*(adjustment) - (percent)*(factor)

(The parameters adjustment and factor could either be constants or functions of other parameters.)

percent = 0.36, adjustment = 11/15, and factor = 25/9 yields newTimes of 109 and 197. :cool:

You are a genius!!.This is the formula I was looking for.

Thank you for your time my friend!

You are a genius!!.This is the formula I was looking for.

Thank you for your time my friend!
A linear fit to the data is
\(\displaystyle New\, =\, \dfrac{88}{120}\, [Old\, -\, 150]\, +\, 109\)
but you can also do a quadratic fit
\(\displaystyle New\, =\, \dfrac{88}{120}\, [Old\, -\, 150]\, +\, 109\, +\, a\, [Old\, -\, 150]\, [Old\, -\, 270]\, \)
where a is arbitrary; or a cubic
\(\displaystyle New\, =\, \dfrac{88}{120}\, [Old\, -\, 150]\, +\, 109\, +\, a\, [Old\, -\, 150]\, [Old\, -\, 270]\, [Old\, -\, b]\)
where both a and b are arbitrary; or, in general,
\(\displaystyle New\, =\, \dfrac{88}{120}\, [Old\, -\, 150]\, +\, 109\, + [Old\, -\, 150]\, [Old\, -\, 270]\, f(Old)\)
where f is any arbitrary function.

\(\displaystyle New\, =\, \dfrac{88}{120}\, [Old\, -\, 150]\, +\, 109\, +\, a\, [Old\, -\, 150]\, [Old\, -\, 270]\, \)
\(\displaystyle New\, =\, \dfrac{88}{120}\, [Old\, -\, 150]\, +\, 109\, +\, a\, [Old\, -\, 150]\, [Old\, -\, 270]\, [Old\, -\, b]\)
\(\displaystyle New\, =\, \dfrac{88}{120}\, [Old\, -\, 150]\, +\, 109\, + [Old\, -\, 150]\, [Old\, -\, 270]\, f(Old)\)

Wow!..

Your formula is even more accurate Ishuda ;)!.One problem is after a certain level your formula doesn't work :( ( I dont get the correct one but a close one )

Thank you for trying though ;)!

You are a genius!!

No, I am not.

This is the formula I was looking for.

Are you sure? You thoroughly tested it?

All I did was to determine a formula that fits the two given data points (150,109) and (270,197), incorporating the given percent (0.36).

I'd be surprised, if that formula were to work in all cases.

No, I am not.

All I did was to determine a formula that fits the two given data points (150,109) and (270,197), incorporating the given percent (0.36).

Unfortunately, it doesn't work with all cases :(

No, I am not.

Hey Otis,

Yes you are genius ;)
Unfortunately, your formula doesn't work in all cases :(.

Thanks for your help! Cheers :smile:

You're asking us to backwards-engineer some game you're playing. Even were that the purpose of this board (staffed by volunteers; nobody is getting paid for this) -- and it's not -- it would not be possible without vastly more information.

Please provide the full coding for the game -- and not the .exe, but the commented code from the original programmers. Thank you.

You're asking us to backwards-engineer some game you're playing. Even were that the purpose of this board (staffed by volunteers; nobody is getting paid for this) -- and it's not -- it would not be possible without vastly more information.

Please provide the full coding for the game -- and not the .exe, but the commented code from the original programmers. Thank you.

Not really sure how to do that :(