Help with Logs

Krahe

I'm taking Cal III, and it has been 3 years since I have taken the previous course so my skills are a little rusty. The equation is,

r(t)= (e^t) i +(2/9) e^(2t) j at t=ln3

The question wants this equation in terms of x and y and then evaluate the velocity and acceleration vectors and the given value of t. Finding v(t) and a(t) is easy, but I'm having trouble working with logs.

This is my thought
process for tackling the problem;
The question wants this equation in terms of x and y. Since i is x and j is y; I would set x= e^t and y= (2/9) e^(2t).

[FONT=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]Solving for t from the x equation; Take the natural log of both sides. therefore t=ln(x)
[/FONT]plugging that into y

y= (2/9) e^(2(ln(x))).

I checked the solution Manual and the answer
provided was that y= (2/9) x^2.

Where did I mess u
p? Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

Homework help

It's been 3 years since I've taken my last math course, and I'm struggling with this problem

86b7c19346a53fc30655245273cb85a3.jpg

Any help would be appreciated!

I'm taking Cal III, and it has been 3 years since I have taken the previous course so my skills are a little rusty. The equation is,

r(t)= (e^t) i +(2/9) e^(2t) j at t=ln3

The question wants this equation in terms of x and y and then evaluate the velocity and acceleration vectors and the given value of t. Finding v(t) and a(t) is easy, but I'm having trouble working with logs.

This is my thought
process for tackling the problem;
The question wants this equation in terms of x and y. Since i is x and j is y; I would set x= e^t and y= (2/9) e^(2t).

Solving for t from the x equation; Take the natural log of both sides. therefore t=ln(x)
plugging that into y

y= (2/9) e^(2(ln(x)))
→ = (2/9) e^(ln(x^2) = 2/9 * x^2

I checked the solution Manual and the answer
provided was that y= (2/9) x^2.

Where did I mess u
p? Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

You did not mess up anywhere - just did not carry through to "required" display!!

Last edited by a moderator:
r(t)= (e^t) i +(2/9) e^(2t) j at t = ln3

...The question wants this equation in terms of x and y. Since i is x and j is y; I would set x= e^t and y= (2/9) e^(2t).

Solving for t from the x equation; Take the natural log of both sides. therefore t = ln(x), plugging that into y

y= (2/9) e^(2(ln(x))).

I checked the solution Manual and the answer provided was that y= (2/9) x^2.
What are the rules for log expressions? (here) Use the appropriate rule to move the "2" inside the log.

What is the definition of "logarithm"? Read this page (down to the bottom!) to figure out the fiddly bit that you've forgotten. ;)

What are the rules for log expressions? (here) Use the appropriate rule to move the "2" inside the log.

What is the definition of "logarithm"? Read this page (down to the bottom!) to figure out the fiddly bit that you've forgotten. ;)

Thanks!