Question About a Math Symbol

zuby

Hello everyone,

What are those symbols in red mark, why we use them and what are their names?

attachment.php

Attachments

• symbol.png
    symbol.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 42
I did not take this from text book...its from excersie. pls tell me what are those symbol
If neither your book nor your instructor nor the assignment defined the symbols being used, the best we can do is guess. Instead, be sure: consult with your instructor regarding the missing information! ;)

Looks like a "summation" symbol

I agree that it looks like those two symbols are being used as summation indicators, but what could the direction signify? Those inside grouping symbols point up, while the one outside points down. Interesting notations, but peculiar.

It's actually a question.
Consider the finite set of binary strings
((000000),(100000),(110000),(111000),(111100),(111110),(111111),(011111),(001111),(000111),(000011),(000001) )
Explain how it is possible to represent such a set in a propositional formulaand find the most compact representation.

Solution.
Language For each 0 ≤ i ≤ 5, bi is a proposition, which intuitively meansthat the i-th bit has value 1. Obviously, ¬bi means that the i-th bit does nothave value 1, and thus it has value 0.

Axioms A possible (compact) representation of the finite set of binary stringsis given by the following formula:
attachment.php

Attachments

• symbol.png
    symbol.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 27
[The symbols are] actually [part of the solution to] a question.

Glad you got 'em figured out. I found them here (search page for "logical disjunction" and "logical conjunction").

Did you also learn whether the size differences denote anything?

no i did not learn...you mean i have to read as summation notation?
Glad you got 'em figured out. I found them here (search page for "logical disjunction" and "logical conjunction").

Did you also learn whether the size differences denote anything?

Finite set of binary strings

How can I read below formula in step by step to make binary string?

Consider the finite set of binary strings

((000000),(100000),(110000),(111000),(111100),(111 110),(111111),(011111),(001111),(000111),(000011), (000001) )
Explain how it is possible to represent such a set in a propositional formulaand find the most compact representation.

Solution.
Language For each 0 ≤ i ≤ 5, bi is a proposition, which intuitively meansthat the i-th bit has value 1. Obviously, ¬bi means that the i-th bit does nothave value 1, and thus it has value 0.

Axioms A possible (compact) representation of the finite set of binary stringsis given by the following formula:
attachment.php

Attachments

• symbol.png
    symbol.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 15
no i did not learn...you mean i have to read as summation notation?

No. I'm talking about the fact that each of the symbols that you circled appear in two different sizes.

(I cannot help with the posted exercise; I have not learned about logical disjunctions or conjunctions.)

No. I'm talking about the fact that each of the symbols that you circled appear in two different sizes.

(I cannot help with the posted exercise; I have not learned about logical disjunctions or conjunctions.)

ok thank you for your response