Calculating lengths from Engineering Drawing

Thumpasaurus

Hello all, this is my first post so please let me know if im doing anything wrong or you have questions.

attachment.php

This is an engineering drawing I've been given, and tasked with calculating the many un-specified dimensions, before fabricating it from 3mm thick steel. It is a seed hopper for the back of a tractor and is made up of a square base, four modified triangles a tube coming out of the centre and a flange on top.

I've retained a limited knowledge of SOHCAHTOA which has helped me to a point, but now I'm strugling to see my next move. Especially when it comes to finding the length or the angle (radius?) of a curved line.
attachment.php

These are my calculations so far.
The lengths I most want to understand are labelled T and S (Closeup drawing)?

Attachments

• Drawing.jpg
    Drawing.jpg
    500.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Calculations.JPG
    Calculations.JPG
    368.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Hello all, this is my first post so please let me know if im doing anything wrong or you have questions.

attachment.php

This is an engineering drawing I've been given, and tasked with calculating the many un-specified dimensions, before fabricating it from 3mm thick steel. It is a seed hopper for the back of a tractor and is made up of a square base, four modified triangles a tube coming out of the centre and a flange on top.

I've retained a limited knowledge of SOHCAHTOA which has helped me to a point, but now I'm strugling to see my next move. Especially when it comes to finding the length or the angle (radius?) of a curved line.
attachment.php

These are my calculations so far.
The lengths I most want to understand are labelled T and S (Closeup drawing)?
Could you maybe describe the thing being constructed? I'm pretty sure a cone is involved, and that it's on some sort of platform, maybe with a "chimney" of some sort on top of it...? And are you taking construction material's widths into account, or are you seeking "mathematically ideal" solutions?

Thank you! ;)

The fabrication is a seed hopper for a tractor. The first picture shows the engineering drawing from the side and from above. The side view is identical from all four sides. The parts from the bottom up consist of a angle iron base, then triangle with the top 1/3 cut out, then the tube made from sheet metal comes up through the triangles joined at four corners and a flange is connected at the top of the tube. On the drawing the side and top views show dashed hidden lines indicating the 3mm metal thickness.

I am only concerned with the triangle seen on the side view, which is one flat section. I have most of the main dimensions, I’m just concerned with how to calculate the small length labeled ‘T’? (I’ve been told its 65mm but I need to know how to work it out)
And how I work out ‘S’?

I since found ‘Q’ to be 148.1.

Thank you