I have 2 1/8 pounds of candy, want to give 1/2 pounds of candy to each of my friends

GeorgeU2

If I have 2 1/8 pounds of candy and want to give a 1/2 pounds of candy to each of my friends, how many friends can I give 1/2 pounds of candy to?

I came up with 2 1/8 divided by 1/2 and got 4 1/4. So, I can give 4 of my friends a 1/2 pounds of candy.

Then it asked how many pounds of candy is left for me? I'm not sure what equation to use to figure this out. Thanks!

If I have 2 1/8 pounds of candy and want to give a 1/2 pounds of candy to each of my friends, how many friends can I give 1/2 pounds of candy to?

I came up with 2 1/8 divided by 1/2 and got 4 1/4. So, I can give 4 of my friends a 1/2 pounds of candy.

Then it asked how many pounds of candy is left for me? I'm not sure what equation to use to figure this out. Thanks!

Just keep subtracting 1/2 until you can't subtract any further. The number of times you subtract is the number of friends you can give. While the remaining is the pounds of candy you have left.