Throwing a die: At first trial we bet one die's face. At second two. At third 3....

anonymous2

The probability of success in one trial is \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{6}\). At first trial we bet one die's face. At second two. At third 3. At forth 4.

My question is what is the probability of at last one success during the 4 trials.

Please at pattern, I'm not to good at math.

Thank you very much.

Sorry, but I don't understand what you're asking. What is meant by "bet[ting] one die's face?"

I'm sorry for that.

I meant that at first trial we choose just one face of the die. It means If we get the face we will win. In second trial we choose 2 faces, If we get one of them we will win. That what I meant.

The probability of success in one trial is \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{6}\).
I assume you mean this to imply that the die is fair, so that the probability of getting one's desired value (being one of the faces of the die) on any one throw is 1/6.

At the first trial we choose one of the die's faces, and bet on that number. At the second trial, we choose two of the die's faces, and bet on those two numbers. At the third trial, we choose three of the die's faces. At the fourth trial, we choose four.

What is the probability of at least one success over the course of the 4 trials.
It will be simpler to find the probability of having zero successes, and then subtracting from one.

trial 1: You have picked one of the die's six faces as your bet value. What is the probability of not rolling that value?

trial 2: You have picked two of the die's six faces as your bet values. What is the probability of not rolling either of these values?

trial 3: You have picked three of the die's six faces as your bet values. What is the probability of not rolling any of these values?

trial 4: You have picked four of the die's six faces as your bet values. What is the probability of not rolling any of these values?

Where does this lead? ;)

as i asked above, what is the probability to get at last one success during the 4 trials

I'm loosing control!

Can you understand that I CAN'T add probabilities?

1. Succes is equel 0.17
2. 0.33
3. 0.5
4. 0.67

And what next. Probability can't be 1.67. Come on!??? What's wrong with you?

I'm loosing control!

Can you understand that I CAN'T add probabilities?

1. Succes is equel 0.17
2. 0.33
3. 0.5
4. 0.67

And what next. Probability can't be 1.67. Come on!??? What's wrong with you?

Cool down - screaming at us will not help!

Your problem is that you don't want to spend time reading the instructions properly!! Read the hints again and digest.

Did you ever give thought to multiplication?

I'm not screaming. If I explained what I would like to get, why are you asking questions as you don't understand what I wrote.

That's make me embarrassed. I informed that the probability is \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{6}\), and you still write that you assume...

Man that also part of mathematic, if you get triangle with one information about it, and you got calculate its area, you know how to do that.

I gave you all details and you still asking, assume, imply.... like mentally ill

----------------------------

well, I will find the answer on my own. Thank you very much...

Last edited:
Wow. This thread sure went south in a hurry. If you're purely interested in someone giving you the answer, then, yes, you'll need to look elsewhere as we do not provide that here. But I'd be wary of such "cheetz" sites as most of them are really scammers, so use a credit card and be prepared to cancel it immediately. If, on the other hand, you're interested in learning how to solve not just this problem, but also others like it, we can help you with that. We've found it generally works best to ask the students leading questions to encourage them to think about the problem, to think about the process, and come to understand what they're doing and why it works.

That said, here's another way you might think about this problem. Perhaps this one will "click" with you. Because you're interested in the probability of at least one success, that effectively means you can stop after winning any one of the four rounds. So, you know you'll win the first round 1/6 of the time. But what happens the other 5/6 of the time? Well, you have to then play round two. Given that you win round two 1/3 (2/6) of the time and you only even reach round two 5/6 of the time, what's the probability of winning on round 2? What's the probability of not winning on round 2? Then proceed to round three. You have a 1/2 (3/6) chance of winning and a (what chance?) of reaching round three. Finally, proceed to round 4. Where does this process take you?

In posts 5 and 7 you have used an extra large font, in red, and underlined. On the internet, using extra large or bold font is equivalent to shouting. Add red and underlined and I think you are certainly coming close to "screaming"!:p

So, you know you'll win the first round 1/6 of the time. But what happens the other 5/6 of the time? Well, you have to then play round two. Given that you win round two 1/3 (2/6) of the time and you only even reach round two 5/6 of the time, what's the probability of winning on round 2? What's the probability of not winning on round 2? Then proceed to round three. You have a 1/2 (3/6) chance of winning and a (what chance?) of reaching round three. Finally, proceed to round 4. Where does this process take you?

Probability of winning on round 2 is 0.33 and not winning 0.67. The chance of reaching on round 3 is 0.5 or \(\displaystyle \frac{9}{12}\). Really I don't know where does it take me. I'm studying at the moment elementary principles of probability, I'm not good about this. My intuition is false, therefore it is not time for me to do such calculations on my own.

--------------

On a certain forum I got information, that frobability in 6 rounds is equal 1.

Last edited: