A Question about Number Systems

Thunderstorm

Hi,I've got 8 questions and Im from different country,ill try to translate them so forgive me if they are misunderstood.Can you help me? Thank you so much?

Question 1:

a,b,c are each different numbers,What is the littlest value that 2a+3b-c can get? The answer is - 7 but i can't find the steps.:confused:

Err... sorry, but I think some crucial information got lost in the translation. The problem states that \(\displaystyle a \ne b \ne c\) and then asks you minimize (i.e. find the smallest possible value of) \(\displaystyle 2a+3b-c\). You say the given answer is -7, but for that to be true, there must be additional constraints on the variables a, b, and c. For instance, if \(\displaystyle a=-57\), \(\displaystyle b=2\), and \(\displaystyle c=8\), then:

\(\displaystyle 2a+3b-c=2(-57)+3(2)-8=-114+6-8=-116\)

So, clearly, something more is going on here.

Hi,I've got 8 questions and Im from different country,ill try to translate them so forgive me if they are misunderstood.Can you help me? Thank you so much?

Question 1: a,b,c are each different numbers,What is the littlest value that 2a+3b-c can get? The answer is - 7 but i can't find the steps.

You need a better translator.

How does that solve it? The problem, as stated, as to show that -7 was the smallest possible value of 2a+ 3b- c. Showing that there exist values of a, b, and c that make the value -7 does not show that -7 is the smallest possible value! As pka showed before, there are other values of a, b, and c that make this much smaller than -7. Again, please post the complete statement of the problem.

How does that solve it? The problem, as stated, as to show that -7 was the smallest possible value of 2a+ 3b- c. Showing that there exist values of a, b, and c that make the value -7 does not show that -7 is the smallest possible value! As pka showed before, there are other values of a, b, and c that make this much smaller than -7. Again, please post the complete statement of the problem.

There aren't other values they can be because it says numbers (how you call it ? numerals? i mean one-digit numbers so we need to gave the highest value(9) to the negative one which is c and the littlest value to the b and again little value for a.Using the word "numbers" instead of "one-digit number" caused misunderstanding but I already wrote the whole question and the answer is-7 as i said.Ps.I dont use a translator its just my english,wrong word choices and lack of technical terms and Im new at math,but it doesnt stop me getting help and studying math,does it? :oops:

So a, b, and c must be integers between 0 and 9? Since you Engish is far better than my (put language of choice here) I wont complain about that.

Okay, i thought them as c=-9 b=0 and a=1, 2.1+3.0-9= -7 its solved,Thank you so much for your help it gave me the idea to solve it!

Yeah you are correct. According to the logic that should be the answer

c>a>b

c = 9
b = 0
a = 1

If you knew that we're dealing with 0 to 9,
and that a<>b, then why did you post the problem?

I knew that but I didnt know which one I should give the highest value i thought about giving (-9) to the b to make result highest (or the littlest as we say) though it didnt mention they are integers @HallsofIvy (Thank you! but the problem doesnt include the information that they are integers! it says just numerals which are "0,1,3,...") ,also I didnt think about giving "0" value to a number either.I thought,9,1 and 2 as values which led to more confusion.I have got other problems just like that and there are small tricks I need to realize but its Math ,when you cant realize,you cant solve it thats why i need anothers opinions and someone making me realize the things i didnt see at first point.