Engineering Structural Mechanics Equation Problems

JamesSBrown3

Hi! I'm completing my Aerospace Engineering Degree and was struggling on a few revision questions, if anyone could point me in the right direction, that would be great :)

Cheers.

[FONT=&quot]1) The tensile force required to cause an elongation of 0.045 mm in a steel rod of 1000 mm length and 12 mm diameter, is? (where E= 2 x 10^6 kg/cm^2)

2) [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A rod 1 metre long having circular cross section is pulled under a tensile load of 8 tonnes. The extension in the rod was 1 mm only. If [/FONT][FONT=&quot]E[/FONT][FONT=&quot]= 2 x 10^6 kg/cm^2, the diameter of the rod, is?

[/FONT]
3) [FONT=&quot]A load of 1960 N is raised at the end of a steel wire. The minimum diameter of the wire so that stress in the wire does not exceed 100 N/mm^2 is

[/FONT]
I've attempted all 3, however I cant work out whether its my unit conversion or simply my method of working out that is causing me such problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks a lot,

James

1) The tensile force required to cause an elongation of 0.045 mm in a steel rod of 1000 mm length and 12 mm diameter, is? (where E= 2 x 10^6 kg/cm^2)

2) A rod 1 metre long having circular cross section is pulled under a tensile load of 8 tonnes. The extension in the rod was 1 mm only. If E= 2 x 10^6 kg/cm^2, the diameter of the rod, is?

3) A load of 1960 N is raised at the end of a steel wire. The minimum diameter of the wire so that stress in the wire does not exceed 100 N/mm^2 is

I've attempted all 3, however I cant work out whether its my unit conversion or simply my method of working out that is causing me such problems.
Until we can examine your work, we won't be able to figure that out, either. Kindly please reply with this information. Please be complete. Thank you! ;)