Engineering: Fluid Flow, Heating, and Mixing

maxbender

Hello,

I've posed this problem to my engineer friends on facebook but none have provided a solution. This involves constructing a set of equations based around a set of real world constants/variables.

I've used a step-wise solution to get me to the answer, but I was wondering if any of you could help me learn how to solve this problem exactly using calculus. Problem is described in photo.

My answers using step-wise solution:
Problem 1: 21.35 minutes
Problem 2: 65.77 minutes
Problem 3: 23.230 kW

attachment.php

Many thanks to all of you! After I re-learn this I will be able to solve many similar problems.

Attachments

• Hot Water.jpg
    Hot Water.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 3
I got bored one day and decided to run some numbers on my hot water system (I know right?!), and I came up with a solution, but it was a step-wise solution that was approximate (but good enough). However I feel like I failed myself by not being able to come to an exact solution using calculus and the methods that I was taught in university. I want to learn how to do this problem using calculus, and I'm hoping that, for some of you, this will be easy and can share your method with me.
1f642.png
:)

My answers using step-wise solution:
Problem 1: 21.35 minutes
Problem 2: 65.77 minutes
Problem 3: 23.230 kW

attachment.php

Attachments

• Hot Water.jpg
    Hot Water.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 3
Please reply showing your work, and I'm sure someone will be glad to check it for you. Please be complete. Thank you! ;)