STAT Q: "Science teacher claims mean scores on science assessment test..."

ctaylor

Hello all,
I have been trying to solve this for a minute and have great difficulty at math so any help would be greatly appreciated.

• A science teacher claims that the mean scores on a science assessment test for fourth grade boys and girls are equal. The mean score for 63 randomly selected boys is 151 with a standard deviation of 36, and the mean score for 65 randomly selected girls is 149 with a standard deviation of 34. At α = 0.10, can you reject the teacher’s claim? Assume the populations are normally distributed and the population variances are equal. 2.In a random sample of 1216 U.S. adults, 966 favor using mandatory testing to assess how well schools are educating students. In another random sample of 1202 U.S. adults taken 9 years ago, 893 favored using mandatory testing to assess how well schools are educating students. At α = 0.05, can you support the claim that the proportion of U.S. adults who favor mandatory testing to assess how well schools are educating students is more than it was 9 years ago?

Hello all,
I have been trying to solve this for a minute and have great difficulty at math so any help would be greatly appreciated.

• A science teacher claims that the mean scores on a science assessment test for fourth grade boys and girls are equal. The mean score for 63 randomly selected boys is 151 with a standard deviation of 36, and the mean score for 65 randomly selected girls is 149 with a standard deviation of 34. At α = 0.10, can you reject the teacher’s claim? Assume the populations are normally distributed and the population variances are equal. 2.In a random sample of 1216 U.S. adults, 966 favor using mandatory testing to assess how well schools are educating students. In another random sample of 1202 U.S. adults taken 9 years ago, 893 favored using mandatory testing to assess how well schools are educating students. At α = 0.05, can you support the claim that the proportion of U.S. adults who favor mandatory testing to assess how well schools are educating students is more than it was 9 years ago?
Hi, after you have tried for 30 minutes please come back to the forum. Also, please show us what you tried so far. Thanks!

To be completely honest I dont even know where to begin. I dont want someone to do it for me I just need to know where to start and how to proceed through the problem. My degree was audited and it was found that I needed this class to graduate, so all the math I had done prior to this has long been forgotten. Any help or guidance you can give would be appreciated.

To be completely honest I dont even know where to begin. I dont want someone to do it for me I just need to know where to start and how to proceed through the problem. My degree was audited and it was found that I needed this class to graduate, so all the math I had done prior to this has long been forgotten. Any help or guidance you can give would be appreciated.
Start with studying z-transformation of normal distribution and definition of "significance level". Do a Google search and come back and tell us what you found.