Corrections

lookagain

Elite Member
So you may think of the constant term in your function as -1/2*x^0, and then apply the Power Rule:

0*(-1/2)^(0-1)

See that multiplication by zero in front? :)

0*(-1/2)*x^(0-1) \(\displaystyle \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \) The x is still there. The (-1/2) is not being raised to (0-1).

Last edited by a moderator:
0*(-1/2)*x^(0-1) \(\displaystyle \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \) The x is still there. The (-1/2) is not being raised to (0-1).
I'm not sure what your point is. Otis's point is that because of that "multiplication by zero in front", nothing else matters.

I'm not sure what your point is. Otis's point is that because of that "multiplication by zero in front", nothing else matters.
I suppose LA is pointing out a typo in Otis's post (x is missing there).

Apparently Otis edited his post, to correct that, before I saw it.

Not so, says the timestamp. But, no matter; you and lookagain each made a valid point.

When reading an example of the Power Rule, students deserve to see a correct version.

And, once we note that some expression is multiplied by zero, none of the operations in that expression matter. It's like PEMDAS changes to M. :)

I wasn't going to say anything but posters keep saying, to a calculus student!, that if one of the factors is 0 in an expression then the whole expression is 0. Come on, we all know better than to tell a student that. This would imply that if x=0 in x(1/x) the result is 0. What about with limits? So lim (x->0) (sin x)(1/x)= 0? After all, sin(0)=0.

I wasn't going to say anything but posters keep saying, to a calculus student!, that if one of the factors is 0 in an expression then the whole expression is 0. Come on, we all know better than to tell a student that. This would imply that if x=0 in x(1/x) the result is 0.

It's assumed that the expressions are defined. If x=0, then the expression 1/x is not defined.

Your example is similar to the classic trig-student mistake of claiming that an identity is false, after realizing that it doesn't hold for all values of the independent variable. They forget that -- even with identities -- we're working within a domain.

What about with limits? So lim (x->0) (sin x)(1/x)= 0? After all, sin(0)=0.

C'mon! You just made the classic calculus-student mistake with limits. In a limit statement where x approaches zero, x never takes on the value zero. You may make x as close to zero as you like, but x NEVER EQUALS ZERO.

As Denis would say, tattoo that on your wrist!! :D