What completes the equation so it is an identity? 1 + sec u/tan u - tan u/1 + sec u

xhell0c0ldw0rld

Hi, I have a question on Pre-Calculus homework that I'm stuck on. The full question is "Identify the expression that completes the equation so that it is an identity. question.jpg
I attached a picture so it's all vertical and easier to read. The answer choices are also there. I'm not really sure what to do, especially since we have to show work. Any help would be appreciated. :)

Hi, I have a question on Pre-Calculus homework that I'm stuck on. The full question is "Identify the expression that completes the equation so that it is an identity. View attachment 7640
I attached a picture so it's all vertical and easier to read. The answer choices are also there. I'm not really sure what to do, especially since we have to show work. Any help would be appreciated. :)

You could begin by rewriting all of the secants and tangents in terms of sine and cosine. Then simplify the result, using the basic identities you've already learned.

You could begin by rewriting all of the secants and tangents in terms of sine and cosine. Then simplify the result, using the basic identities you've already learned.

So the problem would become this: problem 2.jpg.
I'm confused as to what I would do from here. I'm not very good with solving fractions within fractions, it all gets jumbled up.

Hi, I have a question on Pre-Calculus homework that I'm stuck on. The full question is "Identify the expression that completes the equation so that it is an identity. View attachment 7640
I would start by getting a common denominator and subtracting the rational expressions.