Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spam Attacks

Administrator
    Done. Users will receive an explanation via email and private message. They are also now required to verify their email address before the registration completes.

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    Done. Users will receive an explanation via email and private message. They are also now required to verify their email address before the registration completes.
    Thanks Ted...we were ready to transfer you to the mail room
    I'm just an imagination of your figment !

They are also now required to verify their email address before the registration completes.
    I like it. The extra step will cause some spammers to cross us off their "list".
    "English is the most ambiguous language in the world." ~ Yours Truly, 1969

Quote Originally Posted by Denis View Post
    ...we were ready to transfer you to the mail room
    Hey! I work in the mail room. (It's in the sub-basement.) Ted even gave me a corner office, so there!!

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mmm4444bot View Post
    Hey! I work in the mail room. (It's in the sub-basement.) Ted even gave me a corner office, so there!!
    HAH! Now we know why our mail is always late....
    I'm just an imagination of your figment !

Cool

I have configured the system to force users into moderation until they have 3 approved posts. Hopefully that helps cut down on some of the SPAM.
    It was very helpful in the past, and I note that there appears to be no spam today. Yay!

Anyone interested in being a moderator?
    I already am, as are a few others. If some of those others could log into their moderator control panel from time to time and clear out waiting posts, that'd be wonderful. (Look down at the bottom right-hand corner. Is there a link for "Mod" between "Free Math Help" and "Archive"? Then you're probably a moderator and probably can log into to moderator threads and posts.)

I clear out the stack when I come by, but I've been busy with... other things lately... Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by stapel View Post
    ...there appears to be no spam today.
    There were 17 spam threads waiting to be processed this morning, all of them from the same jerks of late; I took care of them.

Quote Originally Posted by stapel View Post
    If some of those others could log into their moderator control panel from time to time and clear out waiting posts, that'd be wonderful.
    I enter the control panel every time I log into the forum, and I process moderated posts almost daily. But I don't simply clear out spams in the moderated-posts listing; I like reporting their IP addresses to anti-spam databases first -- then use Spam-O-Matic to delete the posts and ban the users. (Spam-O-Matic also reports to akismet.)

And, when known spammers join, but wait a few days before posting, I catch them before they can post, by running their credentials through third-party databases. (They get banned manually, as do those posting profile-page spam).

Over the past 90 days, I have manually reported and banned 274 users.

I mostly use the moderated-posts listing to catch valid posts waiting for approval that somehow got overlooked. Cheers

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by mmm4444bot View Post
    There were 17 spam threads waiting to be processed this morning, all of them from the same jerks of late; I took care of them.

I enter the control panel every time I log into the forum, and I process moderated posts almost daily. But I don't simply clear out spams in the moderated-posts listing; I like reporting their IP addresses to anti-spam databases first -- then use Spam-O-Matic to delete the posts and ban the users. (Spam-O-Matic also reports to akismet.)

And, when known spammers join, but wait a few days before posting, I catch them before they can post, by running their credentials through third-party databases. (They get banned manually, as do those posting profile-page spam).

Over the past 90 days, I have manually reported and banned 274 users.

I mostly use the moderated-posts listing to catch valid posts waiting for approval that somehow got overlooked. Cheers
    You rock!

Talking oh

oh! thankyou so much