A group of people book out a function centre for $1500. Five people withdraw....

Mathistoohard

Hi All, Im new I just need help with 1 question, this is a worded question and relates to solving for x and quadratics, its a year 11 vce math methods problem, here it is.

A group of people book out a function centre for $1500. Five people withdraw from the group. The remaining people have to pay $25 more each to cover the cost. How many people were in the original group?

If anyone can show working out and explanation I will be VERY greatful. Thanks!

If anyone can show working out and explanation I will be VERY grateful.
I'm sorry, but the policy you saw when you read the "Read Before Posting" announcement remains in effect; namely, we don't "do" students' work for them, and don't generally provide much assistance until the student shows at least some effort of his/her own. :oops:

A group of people book out a function centre for $1500. Five people withdraw from the group. The remaining people have to pay $25 more each to cover the cost. How many people were in the original group?
a. Pick a variable for the original number of people in the group; say, "p".

b. Given the cost and the original number of people, what expression stands for the original cost, per person? (here) (Use the variable from (a) above.)

c. Given that five of the original people have withdrawn, what expression stands for the current number of people? (Use the variable from (a) above.)

d. Given that the cost has not changed, what expression stands for the current cost, per person? (Use the expression from (c) above.)

e. Given that the current per-person cost is now twenty-five dollars greater, what equation can you create?

If you get stuck, please reply showing your steps so far. Thank you! ;)