Algebra number prob: One numb. 8 more than another. If....

lcline

One number is 8 more than another. If the sum of the smaller number and twice the larger number is 46, find the two numbers. I need to know the steps on solving this problem...I am not understanding how to do these.

Thank you,
Lori

Re: Algebra number problems

lcline said:
One number is 8 more than another. If the sum of the smaller number and twice the larger number is 46, find the two numbers. I need to know the steps on solving this problem...I am not understanding how to do these.

Thank you,
Lori

"One number is not like the other..... " Isn't that a song? :D

You will be needing to solve a system of equations.

Start reading the word problem over and over until it sinks in. For the first equation, how could you express the two numbers, where one is 8 times larger than the other?

Cheers,
John

lcline said:
I need to know the steps on solving this problem...I am not understanding how to do these.
There is, to my knowledge, no "formula" or set of "steps" which will solve all word problems. I'm afraid you'll have to learn the material. Sorry! :oops:

To learn the basics of how to translate English phrases and sentences into mathematical expressions and equations, try here:

. . . . .Google results for "translating word problems"

Then study some lessons with specific examples:

. . . . .Google results for "number word problems"

Once you have learned the basic logic and techniques, please attempt this exercise. If you get stuck, please reply with a clear listing of all of your steps and reasoning so far. Thank you! :D

Eliz.

There are different methods for solving a word problem such as this. If you have learned how to solve two equations in two unknowns, then you might start by writing stuff down, like...

Let x be the larger number.
Let y be the smaller number.

Now your next step is to take the information given to you in English and translate it into Math.

You say "One number is 8 more than another." Using the information about x and y, write a mathematical statement (equation) that says "one number is 8 more than the other" keeping in mind that y is the smaller number and x is larger. The "is" is the equal sign. More than probably involves addition or subtraction is some way.
After you have that one, write a second equation that says "the sum of the smaller number and twice the larger number is 46". Now you have two equations. Solve them simultaneously. If you need more help, show us how far you got so we know how to help.