applied differential equations

Maxim

Hi it is almost time for my exams, and to prepare us our professor gave us some questions he asked the previous years. I have solved almost all of them but the final one has me completely baffled. the question goes as follows:

Barrel A is filled with 200 L of salt solution. We call x(t) the amount of kg salt in barrel A (t in minuts). Barrel B is filled with 300 L salt solution and y(t) is the amount of kg of salt in barrel B. Each minute 10L flows from B to A and 30L flows from A to B. on top of that there is a tap above barrel A which adds 20l/min to barrel a and a drain underneath barrel B which removes 20l/min. Because of this the overall volume level remains the same.

a) proof that x(t) and y(t) follow the following Differential equations: - x'(t) = (-3/20)x(t) + (1/30)y(t)
- y'(t) = (3/20)x(t) - (1/10)y(t)
b) get y from the fist equation en substitute in the second equation to form a second order diff. equation in x and solve (still constants in answer)
c) If you know that there was 20kg of salt in barrel A at time 0 and 15kg in barrel b what are the formulas for x(t) and y(t) (remove the constants).

In general I find stuff to "proof that x = y" to be very difficult as I never quite know where to start. If anybody could help me out with some sort of general strategy that would be most apreciated.

there is a image of the set-up added.

-kind regards
Maxim

Is it the word "prove" (NOT "proof") that bothers you? This problem is just asking you to set up the differential equation that describes the situation.

Barrel A is filled with 200 L of salt solution. We call x(t) the amount of kg salt in barrel A (t in minutes)."
So the concentration of salt in A is x(t)/200 kg/L.

"Barrel B is filled with 300 L salt solution and y(t) is the amount of kg of salt in barrel B."
The concentration of salt in B is y(t)/300 kg/L.

"Each minute 10L flows from B to A and 30L flows from A to B."
That 10L flowing from B to A contains 10(y/300)= y/30 kg of salt per minute and the 30L flowing from A to B contains 30(x/200)= 3x/20 kg of salt per minute. So far the rate at which the amount of salt in A is changing is dx/dt= y/30- 3x/20 kg/min and the rate at which the amount of salt in B is changing is dy/dt= 3x/20- y/30 kg/min.

"on top of that there is a tap above barrel A which adds 20l/min to barrel a and a drain underneath barrel B which removes 20l/min. Because of this the overall volume level remains the same."
I presume that tap is adding 20 L/min of pure water so doesn't change the amount of salt in A. But the tap draining B drains 20(y/300)= 2y/30 kg/min of salt. Subtracting that from what we had above, dy/dt= 3x/20- y/30- 2y/30= 3x/20- 3y/30= 3x/20- y/10.

So we have dx/dt= y/30- 3x/20 and dy/dt= 3x/20- y/10.

thank you very much for your swift reply. the problem was that I was not thinking of using concentration but instead working directly with the mass. thanks to you questions b and c where quite easy to solve after part a.

You were asked to find mass but the information you were given was about the flow of water. You have to make the connection between the two- and that connection is the concentration.