Calculus Help about families of lines

philly

Could someone please help with this problem.

Find an equation for the family of lines tangent to the circle with center at the origin and radius 3??

I know that the equation of the circle is y^2+x^2=9 but where do I go from here.
Thanks
Philly

philly said:
Could someone please help with this problem.

Find an equation for the family of lines tangent to the circle with center at the origin and radius 3??

I know that the equation of the circle is y^2+x^2=9 but where do I go from here.
You need to know the derivative at any point on the circle. Implicit differentiation should get you there for just about everything. Have you met implicit differentiation?

Note: There will be a little problem with the vertical tangents.

Thanks for the response, but we are just starting Calculus I and have not come across def. yet. IS there a simplier way that can be used for a beginning calculus student??
Thanks
Philly

Well, then how about just a derivative. Have you had that?

Somehow, you need to find the slope of all those tangent lines. The derivative is the easiest way.

Maybe this is a problem designed to scare you just so you can be shown how easy it is with the derivative.

Geometry Hint: Tangent lines are perpendicular to Normal lines. Normal lines are through the Center of the circle and intersect the circle at the same point as the corresponding tangent line.

There is a purely geometric way.
If (a,b) is appoint on the circle, then the line y=(b/a)x contains a radial segment.
Therefore a line tangent to the circle at (a,b) [b≠0] has slope (−a/b).
So the in general the tangent is y−b=(−a/b)(x−a).
Now recall that a<SUP>2</SUP>+b<SUP>2</SUP>=9.

pka,
Thank you very much for your response.
We have not covered deviratives yet. We are only on Functions and graphing and I believe this is the way to go for now.
Looking forward to learning different approaches in the future.
Philly