Compound Locus need extreme help fast

G

Hi, I've tried these problems many many many times, I don't understand them.

1) Find all the points on a given line that fixed distance from a given circle if the fixed distance is less than the circle's radius.

2) Find all the points equidistant from two given points and at a given distance from a given circle.

First of all, the answer for both problems is Ø, 1, 2, 3, or 4 points. Here is a diagram of the answer:
814da416.gif

Ok I am very confused.

How come in each answer, there is an extra circle inside? I understand that since the circle is given, it can be any size, but why not draw circle possibilities separetly or something? Also, why not draw more than two circles for each answer? why only 2?

I'm so confused. Please, I need the help. Thanks.

Please post the exact wording of the question.
Do not try to explain, just give the exact wording.

AirForceOne said:
1) Find all the points on a given line that fixed distance from a given circle if the fixed distance is less than the circle's radius.
This is not a grammatically-correct English sentence.

AirForceOne said:
How come in each answer, there is an extra circle inside?
You would have to ask the person who constructed the multiple-choice answers why he drew these particular pictures. But (hint) it would probably be helpful if you spent some time considering how "distance" is measured from a circle.

Eliz.

stapel said:
AirForceOne said:
This is not a grammatically-correct English sentence.

AirForceOne said:
How come in each answer, there is an extra circle inside?
You would have to ask the person who constructed the multiple-choice answers why he drew these particular pictures. But (hint) it would probably be helpful if you spent some time considering how "distance" is measured from a circle.

Eliz.

I have a substitute because my original teacher recently fell down the stairs, thus breaking her leg. I don't know why, but the sub said we have a quiz tomorrow.The substitute only gives the homework assignments and we do it for the rest of the period. I tried asking my friends but they don't know how to do it ethier. The answers were from the back of the book, and the diagram (answers) were given by the substitute. I still can't figure them out...... Heres a scan of the problems:

I made a mistake on the first problem...sorry about that

0dfbd70c.gif

7728caa8.gif

And about your hint, I still can't see it.

Thanks