Construction of algebraic expression

Katey

I need to construct an algebraic expression for the following: I am really bad at algebra! I have been trying to figure out the algebraic expression for the following for ages at this stage and I'm nearly giving up............any help will be much appreciated!! The question is as follows: Step by step construction please if possible..............:confused:

John has only 20 cent coins and 50 cent coins in his wallet. He has three more 50 cent coins than 20 cent coins, and their total value is €2.90. How many 20 cent coins does John have?

I need to construct an algebraic expression for the following: I am really bad at algebra! I have been trying to figure out the algebraic expression for the following for ages at this stage and I'm nearly giving up............any help will be much appreciated!! The question is as follows: Step by step construction please if possible..............:confused:

John has only 20 cent coins and 50 cent coins in his wallet. He has three more 50 cent coins than 20 cent coins, and their total value is €2.90. How many 20 cent coins does John have?

We would like to see what you've done....

Have you picked a variable to represent what you are asked to find?

I see THIS in your problem: "How many 20-cent coins does John have?"

So...let t = number of 20-cent coins that John has

I also see THIS: "He has three more 50 cent coins than 20 cent coins"

I he has "t" 20 cent coins, and he has "three more 50 cent coins than 20 cent coins," then he must have t + 3 fifty-cent coins, right?

So....we know this:

t = number of 20-cent coins
t + 3 = number of 50-cent coins

How much money does he have? I'll help you get started with this.

t coins, worth 20 cents each, have a value of 20t cents
t + 3 coins, worth 50 cents each, have a value of 50(t + 3) cents

The total value of the coins is 2.90....
value of 20-cent coins + value of 50-cent coins = 2.90

Can you continue?

I've given you probably more help than I should have. Please show us what you have been able to do with this!!