Equal: 100cm=1m ? in aspect of value there're the same but in syntaxt there're not the same

Ryan$

Hi guys, why it's correct to write this :
100cm=1m ? in aspect of value there're the same but in syntaxt there're not the same... any help?! why however the syntax isn't the same syntax they are equal? I know 100cm valued 1m but "=" isn't just in aspect of value, it's also in depends on syntax!

MarkFL

Super Moderator
Staff member
Those are two different ways to express the same distance. Two expressions can represent the same value even when the expressions are not identical.

Otis

HallsofIvy

Elite Member
Please tell us what you mean by "syntax" when you say "in syntax they are not the same". If I know a man named "George" but his friends call him "Sam" then it is certainly correct, in syntax, to say "George= Sam". Both names refer to the same person. In the same way, the name, or label, "100 cm" refers to exactly the same thing as "1 m". They are the same "in syntax" as well as "in value".

HallsofIvy

Elite Member
Actually, the man who was named "George" but his friends called him "Sam" was my father. Why his friends called him "Sam" is a long story which would be somewhat "not correct" by today's standards!