Find possible values of t that make -2|2t| = -24 a true statement

brazil820

My daughter and I have another problem that she needs help with please:

Plot the possible values of t that make -2|2t| = -24 a true statement.

Here is what she has tried to do:

She divided the -2 by -2 and then tried to divide the -24 by -2.

Then she tried to multiply the 2t by the answer she got from dividing the -24 by -2.

Her answer was wrong. Could anyone take a look at what she tried and help us figure out what she is doing wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:

You say that "she divided by -2 by -2", which suggests success, and then you say that she "tried to divide by -24 by -2", which suggests that there's a problem. What's the issue? What did she get when she divided the "minus" by a "minus" and the 24 by the 2? (here)

Then she tried to multiply the 2t by the answer she got from dividing the -24 by -2.
I'm sorry, but I don't understand what this means...? Please reply showing her steps, working with the reasoning and methodology you were given at your other thread. For instance, she first removed the absolute-value bars from the |2t| just like she did from the |2n| and split the one absolute-value equation into two linear equations. And then... what?

Please be complete. Thank you! ;)

Her answer was wrong. Could anyone take a look at what she tried and help us figure out what she is doing wrong?
Hi. It's all in how you read the question. Call the |2t| what
So the equation now read -2 times what equals -24. The answer is obviously 12. So |2t| =12. Now call 2t what. Then ask the absolute value of what number or numbers if any equals 12. That answer is 12 and -12. So 2t =12 or 2t =-12

2t=12 ----> 2 times what = 12. Since 2*6=12, we have t=6

2t=-12 ----> 2 times what = -12. Since 2*-6= -12, we have t=-6

I understand that to solve an equation like 2x=12 your daughter was told to divide both sides by 2. In my opinion that is absurd! Almost everybody (except Denis, of course) knows how to multiply better than they know how to divide, so why on earth would a teacher say to convert a multiplication to a division problem. I never understood this! In fact, many many times if I need to figure out something like 12/2 I honestly ask myself 2 times what = 12. BUT THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I HAD BEFORE CHANGING IT TO DIVISION!!!!!!!