• Welcome! The new FreeMathHelp.com forum is live. We've moved from VB4 to Xenforo 2.1 as our underlying software. Hopefully you find the upgrade to be a positive change. Please feel free to reach out as issues arise -- things will be a little different, and minor issues will no doubt crop up.

Find the probability that at least 11 students volunteered at least occasionally.

Cyprus

A recent survey found that 86% of first-year college students were involved in volunteer work at least occasionally. Suppose a random sample of 14 college students is taken. Find the probability that at least 11 students volunteered at least occasionally.

I honestly dont know where to start. My thought process was to assume there are 100 students, and if it says 86% involved in volunteer work so thats 86 students, and if 14 students are randomly selected, that would be 13/100 now I am getting tripped up on how to incorporate the probability that 11 students volunteers at least occasionally. :(

Subhotosh Khan

Super Moderator
Staff member
A recent survey found that 86% of first-year college students were involved in volunteer work at least occasionally. Suppose a random sample of 14 college students is taken. Find the probability that at least 11 students volunteered at least occasionally.

I honestly dont know where to start. My thought process was to assume there are 100 students, and if it says 86% involved in volunteer work so thats 86 students, and if 14 students are randomly selected, that would be 13/100 now I am getting tripped up on how to incorporate the probability that 11 students volunteers at least occasionally. :(
Why is that?

Ishuda

Elite Member

The outcome is a yes/no (2 choices) kind of question [yes=does volunteer, no=does not volunteer or vice-versa]. What does that suggest?

Jomo

Elite Member
The outcome is a yes/no (2 choices) kind of question [yes=does volunteer, no=does not volunteer or vice-versa]. What does that suggest?
Bi....ial!