finding x?

afoy26

Need Help Solving for X

I'm not sure how to work out this problem- would anyone be willing to talk me through the process of solving for x? Thank you!
attachment.php

Edit: I should also add that I have no work to show for this problem, as I am not sure where to begin.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-29 at 5.46.27 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-11-29 at 5.46.27 PM.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Hard to read: is that a 9 or a 6?
And 7 - x?

No angles are given?

The number in question is a 6, and the other side is apparently x-∠. It is true that no angles are given; that's one of the things that confused me the most about this problem.

Assuming the values given are 10, 6, and (7 - x).

also asumint that the common side of the 2 triangle in the pic makes a 90o the side of length 6 + (7 - x).

The common side = sqrt(102 - 62)

The common side = 8

82 + (7 + x)2 = x2

x = 8.07

Assuming the values given are 10, 6, and (7 - x).

also asumint that the common side of the 2 triangle in the pic makes a 90o the side of length 6 + (7 - x).

The common side = sqrt(102 - 62)

The common side = 8

82 + (7 + x)2 = x2

x = 8.07

mcmadhan, your x-value doesn't make sense, because (7 - x) would be a negative number in your case.

It's a poorly drawn/incomplete figure. What I think was intended was a diagram with one isosceles triangle composed of
two non-overlapping right triangles, with one of the sides supposed to be (x - 2), where the top of the "2" is cut off.
If so, then the triangle with the variables isn't drawn to scale based on how the numbers would work out.

altitude = common side

102 - 62 = (common side)2

Solve for the length of the common side ,which is the altitude.

(common side)2 + (x - 2)2 = x2

Then solve this for x and (x - 2).

If my interpretation is correct, the side lengths of the alleged right triangle (with the variables) make a Pythagorean triple.

Last edited:
The number in question is a 6, and the other side is apparently x-∠. It is true that no angles are given; that's one of the things that confused me the most about this problem.
How did you type just part of the 2 (∠ )??

I guess that YOU knew it was not a 7, so why would you not tell us?????????

I hadn't checked this thread in a while, so I hadn't been able to respond. This figure was not created by me, and with the responses given, it seems that the figure is of very poor quality. I assume that classroom help would be best for me at this point, but thank you all for the help with this.

Some people were considering that one side might have been labeled 7-x.

Is it silly to think that the diagram had been turned upside down, after labeling one side, to label another side?

Kudos to lookagain, for applying common sense. :)