Fractions: man uses 5/2 buckets of paint to paint hall; uses 5/4 less buckets to paint room.

Learn

A man uses 5/2 buckets of paint to paint a Hall. He uses 5/4 less buckets to paint a room. How much paint did he use for the room?

"less" indicates some sort of subtraction or reduction. What are your thoughts?

Hello. Here's a similar example:

My friend's bike has 10 liters of petrol. My bike has 5 liters less. How many liters of petrol does my bike have?

If you can solve this example, then set up your exercise the same way.

If you still need help, please show us what you've tried or thought about, so far. Cheers!

?

A man uses 5/2 buckets of paint to paint a Hall. He uses 5/4 less buckets to paint a room. How much paint did he use for the room?
As Otis strongly hinted, when you have trouble knowing how to solve a problem with the given numbers then try to use friendlier numbers.
Try to answer this one: A man uses 8 buckets of paint to paint a Hall. He uses 3 less buckets to paint a room. How much paint did he use for the room?

Hello. Here's a similar example:

My friend's bike has 10 liters of petrol. My bike has 5 liters less. How many liters of petrol does my bike have?

If you can solve this example, then set up your exercise the same way.

If you still need help, please show us what you've tried or thought about, so far. Cheers!

?
Thank you for this good example. It helped.

As Otis strongly hinted, when you have trouble knowing how to solve a problem with the given numbers then try to use friendlier numbers.
Try to answer this one: A man uses 8 buckets of paint to paint a Hall. He uses 3 less buckets to paint a room. How much paint did he use for the room?
Thank you so much... All examples are very helpful.

So what was your answer? Even if you know it is correct please post it anyways so others having the same trouble can see how you worked it out.

So what was your answer? Even if you know it is correct please post it anyways so other having the same trouble can see how you worked it out.
Sure. Right. People on this forum helped me understand.

The paint used for hall = 5/2 buckets.
The paint used for room = 5/4 less buckets.

Therefore 5/2 - 5/4 = 5/4 or 1 1/4

Thank you.