Having trouble with a discriminant equation

alexcampbeel

Hi there, not sure if I'm posting in the right section, very new to this.

I have a question in my revision sheets which I am stumped by:

'A parabola has equation y=ax2+bx+c, where a is positive. Show the that the minimum y value is given by the expression = -∆/4a, where ∆=b2-4ac.'

I have tried and tried but I don't know where to go with this, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi there, not sure if I'm posting in the right section, very new to this.

'A parabola has equation y=ax2+bx+c, where a is positive. Show the that the minimum y value is given by the expression = -∆/4a, where ∆=b2-4ac.'

I have tried and tried but I don't know where to go with this, any help would be greatly appreciated.
What is the value of x at the minimum? Plug that into the equation for the parabola and see what you get.

Since it's on your review sheet, then you must have seen the required material before. So:

What have you learned about max/min points of parabolas, as relates to their vertices? What have you learned about vertices, as relates to completing the square of the original quadratic function? ;)