Help with beginning algebra problems, taking an online course with no instruction.

tlcmel

I worked on these ALL day yesterday and the back of the book just has the answers, it doesn't show the work.
emoticon-0179-headbang.gif
I should have never chosen this class online because it's difficult...I failed the last test. I need help, I don't know where to start, taking an online course for this was a big mistake. Here goes..
1.)Six times the quantity of 4 minus a number is 15. Find

the number. Show your work. (sorry about the font Please help me solve I have no idea where to start when I see word problems, I shouldn't have taken this as an online course and I'm failing and the answers in the back only contain answers not the actual work..
emoticon-0107-sweating.gif
I just blank out and don't know where to start...I read the preceding chapter but it didn't help. This is my homework...I failed this test and fell I needed to work on this more before I progress and spent hours trying to figure out ONE problem. Thanks.

2nd.) 1. CAR STEREO: Last month, Ben Jamison sold 17 more car stereos than did the other sales person at the store. If the two salespeople sold a total of 101 stereos, find the number sold.

2. SHIP BUILDING: One hundred eighty-five people work in building the ships that are in management, accounting, finance, and marketing. Given a total of 229 employees, find the number working in building the ship.
3. AUTOMOBILE: A one year old automobile is marked "on sale" for $18, 450, which is 9/10 of it's original price. Find the original price.

4.COMMERCIAL BUILDING: Jane Anderson purchased a rundown empty commercial building and plans to fix it up. The building can be used for both retail stores and office space. She this she can get a total annual rent of $135,000, with 3 1/2 times as much rent coming from retail stores as from the office space. Find the rent she expects from the office space and also the rent she expects from the retail stores.

5. HARLEY DAVIDSON: Excluding managers, there are 22 full time employees working at a large Harley Davidson shop. New employees receive $9.50 an per hour, while more experienced workers average $12.90 per hour. The company spends $273.60 per hour in wages., not counting benefits. Find the number of each type of worker.
emoticon-0138-thinking.gif

6. NISSAN SALES: Profits on Nissan Altimas and Sentras average $1200 and $850, respectively, at one dealership. The total profit in a month in which they sold 120 of these models was $130, 350. Find the number of each sold.

It sounds like you would benefit more by having a personal tutor to help you out. This web site is more geared towards helping kids out with a problem here or there. Sounds like you need someone that can help you out with all the concepts in the class and you would benefit much more with that one on one interaction then from this web site.

Until then, here is how you can set up the first question.

Let x = some number, then try and write out the words in mathematical terms:

6 times the quantity of 4 minus a number is 15 ---> 6(4 - x) = 15

Make sense? "times" = multiplied; "4 minus a number" = 4 - x; "is" means =

Now solve for x by distributing the 6 and solving for x.

I worked on these ALL day yesterday and the back of the book just has the answers,
it doesn't show the work.
emoticon-0179-headbang.gif
I should have never chosen this class online because it's difficult...I failed the last test.
I need help, I don't know where to start, taking an online course for this was a big mistake. Here goes..

tlcmel, you are off to the wrong start in this forum. You are not to post a list of homework problems, and you
are to post at least some work for a problem so that we may help you with where you are stuck.

Please read the posting rules here:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/threads/54004-Read-Before-Posting

(And consider dropping your online course?)