if a plank of wood is 220cm long . I cut it into 14cm pieces. what length of wood I have left over?

uka

if a plank of wood is 220cm long . I cut it into 14cm pieces. what length of wood I have left over?It seems easy but I just cannot find the method. sorry

if a plank of wood is 220cm long . I cut it into 14cm pieces. what length of wood I have left over?It seems easy but I just cannot find the method. sorry
I'll solve a similar problem:

I have 200 $ in my pocket. I want to purchase several pens worth 6$ each. How many pens (maximum) can I buy with the money (in my pocket) and how much money will be left over?

# of pens that I can buy = 200/6 = 33 + fraction

Cost of 33 pens (money) spent = 33*6 = 198 $

Money left in my pocket= 200 - 198 = 2 $

Follow the same procedure.....

I'll solve a similar problem:

I have 200 $ in my pocket. I want to purchase several pens worth 6$ each. How many pens (maximum) can I buy with the money (in my pocket) and how much money will be left over?

# of pens that I can buy = 200/6 = 33 + fraction

Cost of 33 pens (money) spent = 33*6 = 198 $

Money left in my pocket= 200 - 198 = 2 $

Follow the same procedure.....
Amazing , it does make sense. I divided 220 by 14 but the result was 15.7 that made me wonder .thank youuu

Something makes me think that you don't really need 15.7 pieces, but are happy to settle for just 15. What do you have left then?

I once asked a similar question on an exam. It was something like you have a 6ft piece of wood and want to cut it into 2ft pieces, how many pieces do you get?
This student's answer was 2 and immediately came to me after the test and told me that I marked him wrong--and he was correct.
This student was a construction worker and knows 1st hand that what you see on the floor after you cut wood is wood! What he told me was that you have to put a 2ft mark on the wood and then cut just after that mark to get a 2ft piece of wood. What is left over is NOT a 4ft piece of wood! Think about what is on the floor!!
I had to give him the credit and we talked about how he shouldn't think that way in this math class anymore

Another way of thinking about it:
You have a 220cm of wood.
You cut off a 14cm piece of wood. Now you have 1 14cm piece of wood and a 206cm piece of wood.

You cut off another 14cm piece of wood. Now you have 2 14cm pieces of wood and a 192cm piece of wood.

You cut off another 14cm piece of wood. Now you have 3 14cm piece of wood and a 178cm piece of wood.

You cut off another 14cm piece of wood. Now you have 4 14cm piece of wood and a 164cm piece of wood.

You cut off another 14cm piece of wood. Now you have 5 14cm piece of wood and a 150cm piece of wood.

Keep going! Or did you figure out that this is a long division problem?