How would I figure out the volume of these cylinders?

Xentus

Hey yeah, that's right. Another volume question. I asked a question already regarding this, but kinda didn't have time to reply to my helpers. So I am re-asking this question:

"Calculate the volume of this cylinder section of pipe with dimensions: Length: 44cm and an Internal diameter of the pipe: 8cm, and a Wall thickness: 4cm (correct to the nearest whole number)"

I actually don't have any work regarding this question, just like the other question, but Subhotosh Khan came to the rescue, except that I didn't understand anything he said. Maybe someone could explain it a little more? Thank you for the help.

volume1.png

Hey yeah, that's right. Another volume question. I asked a question already regarding this, but kinda didn't have time to reply to my helpers. So I am re-asking this question:

"Calculate the volume of this cylinder section of pipe with dimensions: Length: 44cm and an Internal diameter of the pipe: 8cm, and a Wall thickness: 4cm (correct to the nearest whole number)"

I actually don't have any work regarding this question, just like the other question, but Subhotosh Khan came to the rescue, except that I didn't understand anything he said. Maybe someone could explain it a little more? Thank you for the help.

View attachment 15377
Easier problem: You need to paint a wall. Paint store asks for the area of the wall to calculate the amount of paint needed. You know that the wall is an 8x8 square with a 4x4 window that does not need to be painted. What's the area to be painted?

I feel really stupid right now, I'm very sorry, but I was actually homeschooled my whole life. So, pretty much no math skills.
Draw the wall and the window. The shape that needs to be painted is somewhat complicated, so calculating its area is not super straightforward. But the wall and the window are simple squares. Do you know how to calculate the area of a square? If not, it's the side squared. So the wall area is 8x8=64. What's window area?
Now that you know areas of the wall and the window can you figure out the area that needs to be painted (which is the wall without the window)?

I am sorry but I just can't pass up such a golden opportunity like this one.
Most people do not understand what Subhotosh says so don't feel badly about this. He was made a moderator in hopes that he would spend less time helping students.

Xentus, lev888's point, with his seemingly completely different problem, is that, to calculate the area or the wall, not including the window, you calculate the area of the entire wall, including the window, then calculate the area or the window, and subtract.

For your problem, calculate the volume of the whole cylinder, 44 cm long with radius 8+ 4= 12 cm (\(\displaystyle V= \pi r^2L\)), then calculate the volume of the inner cylinder, 44 cm long with radius 8 cm., and subtract.